Now two days removed from Saturday's blowout win over Indiana, Ryan Day still sounds confident that the Buckeyes will see multiple banged-up running backs return to health before the end of the season.
During his weekly segment on 97.1 The Fan's Buckeye Roundtable program Monday, Day said Ohio State needs the room to be at "full capacity" if the Buckeyes are to achieve their goals this season. After Miyan Williams was carted off the field in the second quarter against the Hoosiers, though, Ohio State was down to just one healthy scholarship running back in true freshman Dallan Hayden.
"We want to get guys back. We want to get as healthy a room as we possibly can. I think we can do that here in pretty short order," Day said. "But they're gonna have to really do a great job with their rehab and make sure that they're doing their part on it. But the great news is that we have shown depth, and that's been huge for us this year. If we're gonna reach our goals, we're certainly gonna need a running back room that's at full capacity."
Day also discussed Kamryn Babb's emotional touchdown grab against Indiana, the progress of the Buckeye defense this season, the "always dangerous" Maryland Terrapins and more. Here's a rundown of everything Day discussed during his radio appearance to start the week.
- Days says "we weren't sure if that moment would ever happen for Kam (Babb)" on Saturday. "In his mind, he wanted to show others that he could be an inspiration." Day says Babb is a "special young man."
- On defense: "Each week I think that we're growing, we're showing consistency." Day says "our guys know the challenges ahead," but progress is "tangible."
- Day says it was "great to see Lathan get that punt block ... for our guys to see a lot of hard work pay off. He's spent a lot of time on punt blocks."
- On depth at RB: "We want to get guys back. We want to get as healthy a room as we possibly can. I think we can do that here in pretty short order. ... If we're gonna reach our goals, we're certainly gonna need a running back room that has full capacity."
- Day says Maryland is "always dangerous" and cites the 2018 overtime game which also took place a week before Michigan. "We're always gonna get everybody's best shot."
- Day says Marvin Harrison Jr.'s body contortion on one big catch Saturday was "unbelievable, I don't know what to say."