There were many questions still to be answered this week when Ohio State coach Urban Meyer met with the media Wednesday at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.
Because Meyer's Monday press conference was canceled, Wednesday's press conference was his only in-person media availability of the week before the Buckeyes travel to Nebraska for Saturday's game.
Meyer said he expects Nebraska to be a tough opponent, especially if quarterback Tanner Lee plays well.
"We're getting ready for a very good team that plays a unique style of defense," Meyer said.
Here's what else you need to know from Meyer's meeting with the media:
- Meyer confirmed that true freshman wide receiver Trevon Grimes, who he went to visit on Monday instead of holding his regularly scheduled press conference, is currently away from the team dealing with a health issue in his family. Meyer does expect Grimes to return to the team.
- Dre'Mont Jones "looked great" in Wednesday's practice and is expected to play on Saturday after missing the Buckeyes' last two games.
- Michael Hill will be back this week after missing the team's first six games. Meyer said Hill has handled himself well recently.
- Meyer is not pleased about potentially having to play four Big Ten road games this year if the Iowa game ends up being a night game. "When you start talking about student-athletes, they shouldn't have to play four night games on the road." Meyer reiterates, as he has said multiple times on his radio show, that he belives teams should be capped to two road night games per season.
- Ohio State "kind of knows" who will start at right guard on Saturday, but Meyer would not announce it Wednesday.
- Ohio State has had conversations about moving Billy Price to right guard and playing Brady Taylor, but Meyer did not indicate whether they will actually use that lineup, as he prefers to have an experienced player starting at center.
- Meyer said Tom Herman is the offensive coordinator who has had the biggest influence on his system, but Kevin Wilson and others have too.
- Kendall Sheffield will start opposite Denzel Ward at cornerback with Damon Arnette suspended for the first half against Nebraska, but Jeffrey Okudah will also be in the mix.
Check back with Eleven Warriors later tonight for further coverage from campus, as Ohio State offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson, offensive linemen Jamarco Jones and Billy Price, linebackers Jerome Baker and Dante Booker and safety Jordan Fuller are scheduled to meet with the media after Meyer's press conference.