Ohio offensive linemen Deontae and Devontae Armstong have committed to Ohio State's class of 2024.
After posting an 11-2 record in non-conference action, Ohio State opened up the B1G slate this afternoon with a 71-65 loss to Iowa in the Schott.
Another sluggish start put the Buckeyes in a hole in which they could not recover though they did cut Iowa's lead to three at 63-60 with 3:25 left following a furious 15-8 run.
Sam Thompson led the charge with 17 points and D'Angelo Russell chipped in 13 despite foul trouble.
Marc Loving added 10 points and six boards and Amir Williams scored nine points with five rebounds.
Ohio State shot 42% for the game and just 38% in the 2nd half while Iowa connected on 46% from the floor while winning the glass 37-29.
Aaron White, an Ohio native, led Iowa with 18 points and nine rebounds and Jarrod Uthoff added 18 and seven.
The loss drops Ohio State to 0-1 in conference play. They take on Illinois at home this Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
|24-57 (42.1)||FGM-FGA (PCT.)||23-50 (46.0)|
|6-24 (25.0)||3PM-3PA (PCT.)||8-22 (36.4)|
|11-15 (73.3)||FTM-FTA (PCT.)||17-23 (73.9)|
|26||PTS OFF TURNOVERS||12|
|44||POINTS IN PAINT||30|
- Ohio State is now 7-5 all-time against Iowa in Value City Arena including two straight losses.
- The Buckeyes hadn't lost a B1G opener at home since 1998 when Wisconsin downed Ohio State 64-59.
- Despite the loss, Ohio State has won nine of 11 against Iowa as a ranked team.
- The Buckeyes are winless in three games this season when trailing at the half.
- Since the 2009-10 season, OSU has the most home wins in the country (99-9).
- Matta is now 5-1 at Ohio State in B1G home openers and 8-3 overall.
- Ohio State is 12-6 versus Iowa in the Matta Era.
- D'Angelo Russell has reached double figures in scoring in 12 straight games.
- Shannon Scott moved into 5th place in OSU history with 427 assists.
- Amir Williams has recorded a block in 13 straight games.
- Jae'Sean Tate has recorded at least five rebounds in 10 games so far this year.