Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

The Bizarre Division Called The AL Central

+4 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
June 16, 2016 at 12:21pm
101 Comments

The AL Central is absolutely nuts this season, and I don't see that trend stopping any time soon.  After winning six straight to take over first place, the Royals dropped eight straight, including a four-game sweep in Cleveland, to lose first place, only to win five straight, including  a three-game sweep of Cleveland, to move back into a first place tie.  It's just nuts.

AL Central Standings
Team W L GB Last 10
Cleveland 35 30 - 4-6
Kansas City 35 30 - 5-5
Detroit 33 32 2.0 6-4
Chicago 33 33 2.5 4-6
Minnesota 20 45 15.0 4-6

This division is shaping up to be one of the most tightly contested divisions in baseball, largely because there are four teams that will likely be within striking distance of the division lead into September.  My thoughts on each:

Cleveland - Is next year finally here?  The core talent on this team is sick, and when they get Michael Brantley back, they'll only get better.  Lindor is a monster talent with HoF potential; Napoli is still going strong, and Jason Kipnis is the guy you can't help but respect - you just want him on your team.  If they get that bullpen straight, they can win the division.  And, even if they don't, I see them in the wild card.

Kansas City - Obviously, they're my homer choice.  However, they have flaws.  Trying to maintain objectivity, I will tell you that last year's success overcoming weaknesses puts my mind at ease.  Having said that, Alcides Escobar and Kenrys Morales' respective drops in production is a potential land mine.  They can dance around Esky, but they need Morales' bat to heat up.  Having Salvador Perez DH is good, but if that's a long-term solution, they'll need to carry a third catcher, which no one wants to do, or risk losing their DH if Drew Butera were to ever be injured (forcing Perez into action).  And, their rotation needs help.  They are surrendering home runs at a staggering rate (even last night in a 9-4 win, they gave up two 2-run dingers).

Detroit - Their offense could be an absolute machine.  They have power galore, and even tapped into an unexpected power source when McCann's injury forced them to sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia.  Detroit has some significant pitching issues though.  First and foremost is the rotation.  Sure, Jordan Zimmerman was an incredible signing, and he's backing it up, and Justin Verlander is adjusting to his new normal as a pitcher who can't overpower everyone, but after that? Rubbish.  And, their bullpen is not particularly strong.

Chicago - They begin and end with the best one-two lefty punch in baseball with Chris Sale and Jose Quintana (IMO).  They attempted to fill the John Danks void with an interesting trade for James Shields.  On the surface, it looked like a decent move for a guy who'd be a back-of-the-rotation starter, but he's been straight up swamp water, so we'll see how that plays out.  Their offense is also stout and they have infused a fire in their clubhouse with Brett Lawrie, who seems to have joined forces with Sale as the emotional leaders in the clubhouse.  This team seems to have embodied their fiery spirit and, for once, seem to be playing with a purpose.  Their offense is solid and they have decent power at the bottom of the lineup with Avisail Garcia and Alex Avila.  But, that bullpen tho...  Ventura better shore things up in the pen if he wants the Sox to contend. 

Minnesota - Joe Mauer will be their team representative in the All Star Game.  After Mauer, the next best thing in Minnesota is the Dilly Bar.

That's the state of the Central, as I see it.  It's going to be an interesting ride, and with the number of Indians fans here, and maybe a few other AL Central fans as well, it should keep us all entertained for months to come.

And, Cleveland is at Kansas City to close the regular season; it could be for the division title.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 101 Comments