Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

The Real Life Crash Davis

0 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
December 15, 2015 at 12:17pm
27 Comments

Mike Hessman's retirement from baseball is hardly a noteworthy event considering most people have never even heard of him.  They have more likely heard of Crash Davis, though.  Mike Hessman is The Real Life Crash Davis.

When you're a high school pitcher in 1996, there's likely one team you dream of getting drafted by - the Atlanta Braves.  That's precisely how Hessman's journey to famed obscurity began. 

It was the Braves' idea to convert the 6-foot-4, 215-pound Hessman to third base, the start of his remarkable odyssey that covered 20 years and 2,272 games (including winter ball and a season in Japan) -- only 109 of them in the big leagues.

That move, as nondescript as I'm sure it was in the baseball world, set into motion perhaps the greatest "Four A" player baseball has ever seen.  The guy had the skills to hit a baseball better than 99% of us.  But, it was that last 1% that he couldn't keep up with.  He flourished as a power hitter in the minor leagues, as evidenced by the crown.  Yet, he could never catch on in the show. 

As a long-time Mud Hen, I always followed his career (once I'd finally heard of him), and hoped he'd make it with the Tigers, or even when the Mets gave him a shot.  But, alas, he was the rarest player in baseball - a Four-A player, meaning he was too good for AAA, but not good enough for the majors.

But, at the end of the day, it turned out well for Hessman.  And, now Cooperstown will pay tribute to his accomplishments, too.

Move over Buzz Arlett, and eat your heart out, Barry Bonds. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments