Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My Theory About Bowl Opt Ins…

+1 HS
RCRoy45's picture
December 12, 2023 at 2:53pm
43 Comments

I have a theory that Saban has set the standard for having players not opt out of bowl games - whatever was given to Bryce Young and Will Anderson just to play in the Sugar Bowl  (my bet is $100k+ and a booster backed insurance policy with much friendlier player language than the Lloyd’s of London policies) is now what schools like Ohio State have adopted to have their draft eligible guys play in bowl games.  Makes sense all around - and I would chalk this up to a recruiting expense because nothing screams good culture like having these cats play and given the climate these kids are playing in - why not give these guys something extra for putting the scarlet and gray on one more time… 

Aside from Marvin and Emeka - most fans would have preferred seeing Wilson and Olave one more time at the Rose Bowl v Utah… and I like it a lot 

On the high side - if Ohio State pays out $3M to have 7-10 guys play in the bowl games to cap of a career - it’s money well spent IMHO to strengthen the brand - as much as I am not a fan of NIL - I feel like this is another sign - Ryan Day has adapted to these times and will not be caught flat footed in 2024 with 2018 philosophy…

Go Bucks 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 43 Comments