Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Scarlet Tinted Wed 11/8/23

+15 HS
TheNomadicBuckeye's picture
November 8, 2023 at 12:36am
17 Comments

There remain three games in the 2023 Ohio State Football regular season schedule. The previous 9, all wins, have garnered a mixed bag of online message board reactions. 

When you comment on an article or thread on the internet, you have opened the possibility that you may be accused of something. Being a troll for instance. Or being a jerk. Being under the influence? You may be accused of knowing nothing about football. And of course, there is the time honored accusation of being a Homer, a fanboy, a sunshine pumper, or wearing the scarlet tinted glasses (my personal favorite). These latter are the ’insults’ hurled at those who are relentlessly optimistic about their team. 

I submit to you that if you are going to be a homer, maybe going on to a free fan site dedicated to your team is the perfect place for it. In fact, why would anyone choose a different way? As Big Tom Callahan of Callahan Auto Parts in Sandusky, Ohio said, “Why say “no”, when it feels so good to say “yes”?” 

Here’s a post with nothing but positive stuff to say about the 2023 Ohio State Buckeyes. No particular order or number. Please share your own positivity in the comments. 

1. LEGENDARY

Marvin Harrison Jr. 

This Season: 52 Receptions. 914 yards. 10 touchdowns. Career: 140, 2316, 27 

Marvin is 430 yards from Michael Jenkins all time mark 2746. He is 8 touchdowns away from Chris Olave’s record 35. If he breaks this record, he will also break Terry Glenn’s 1995 record of 17 touchdowns in a season. Regardless of records, Marv’s exploits have already entered the lexicon of wide receiver play at this school. For the foreseeable future, he will be the mark by which all other receivers are measured. And he’s still only a Junior. We are more than likely seeing the last games of him in an Ohio State jersey. Let’s cherish them. 

2. DEFENSE 

Silver Bullets. BIA. Rushmen. Ohio State history is filled with legendary teams and players on the defensive side. The tradition is so rich we have invented monikers to describe them. Defense wins championships. That’s what we have been told since forever. 

Through 9 games: 

#5 Total Defense 

#3 Yards Per Play 

#2 Opponents Touchdowns 

All while playing the 15th toughest schedule so far. 

Burke, Eichenberg, JT, Ty Williams, Hall, Ransom, Styles, Hancock, Proctor, Sawyer, Chambers, Igbinosun, Matthews, Simon, Ty Hamilton, Curry, Jackson, Kanu.

No weak links in the chain. Poised. Ready. 

3. COMEBACK SAUCE 

TreVeyon Henderson set the world ablaze as a freshman. Right out of the gate the 5-Star #1 Ranked High School Running Back was the undisputed best player in the backfield. Man was it beautiful to watch him run. Just one season later, injury marred his performances and seemingly everyone collectively forgot what a great player he is. 

9/23 @ Notre Dame: 104 Rush Yds, 1 TD

10/28 @ Wisconsin: 207 Total Yds, 1 TD

11/4 @ Rutgers: 208 Total Yds, 1 TD 

6.5 per carry on the season. 7 Touchdowns. Stacking good days. Here’s to watching him play and be healthy the rest of the season. It’s going to be a beautiful thing. 

4. DEVELOPING HERE 

We always seem to have a never ending array of dudes coming through. From 5-Star phenoms to overachievers, the slogan “Developed Here” is a true statement. So when I watch Jermaine Matthews start his first career game and shine, or as Carnell Tate makes strides each week, or when Luke Montgomery gets snaps as the Sixth lineman; I try to remember that these things aren’t a given. We recruit at a high level and we train at a high level so these players will play at a high level when called upon. As per Bobby Carpenter; The standard is the standard. Brandon Inniss, Malik Hartford, Kayden McDonald, and Calvin Simpson-Hunt should all be pushing for more snaps towards the end of this season. The future is bright. 

5. KYLE MCCORD

When there is an impossible job, there’s always someone who has to do it. When I was 15 years old I fell in love. Because of an over abundance of hormones & a certainty only a 15 year old could possess, I was sure it would last forever. I did not reach 16 before she’d dumped me. My next girlfriend was a sweet girl who had sat next to me in class all year. She didn’t stand a chance. The “relationship” was soured from the beginning by the bittersweet heartbreak of the prior. 

After Dwayne Haskins left, there was some optimism because a transfer player named Justin Fields looked like he would be eligible his first season. This prompted Tathan, who had sat beside us patiently all the previous season, to transfer. Justin quickly stole our hearts. Knowing there was no one on the bench behind him made his play and guts that much more thrilling. After he left, a lot of us never realized how good we had it with stable, dependable CJ. Now only the memory remains. Maybe that’s why Kyle, with his impossible task of reaching our stone cold hearts, is so polarizing right now. 

I’m not here to argue that Kyle is better or even as good as his predecessors. That really doesn’t matter to me. But I’m also not the type to bitch about the brand of free beer I’ve been given. It’s free. McCord continues to go out and perform and win. He is 9th in the nation right now in QBR, and the highest first year starter on the list. 17-4 touchdown to interception ratio. 65% Completion Percentage. Undefeated as a starter. He will never be Justin. He will never be CJ. But before he’s done he might also be something they never were; a National Champion. 

6. O.H. CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN. 

Ryan Day has reached 60 games as a head coach. He is 54-6. That’s a winning percentage of .900. He is credited with 6 seasons, because 3 games came as an interim the year before he took over as head ball coach. If he continues to have this high of a percentage of games won, when he is eligible for the top all time (10 seasons) he would be the winningest coach of all time by percentage. Better than Harbaugh (.709). Better than Saban (.806). Knute Rockne, the current leader, went 105-12-5 and won three Championships. He also coached before they invented dirt. He also spent a good deal of his life in Ohio, so he gets a pass (get it? Cause… forward pass? Look him up). Eligibility for Day will be the 2027 season. I’m betting on at least 1 National Championship by then. Hopefully 3 or more. And lots of forward passes.

When most coaches take over a program, they usually replace the entire staff. Day was promoted, so his situation was a little different. But we should give him credit where due. He was able to keep LJ which as paid huge dividends. He kept Tony despite most calling for his head when he could only muster a 3-Star Miyan Williams as a recruiting class just 4 seasons ago. 

In addition, he has hired Jim Knowles, Perry Eliano, and Tim Walton. Those are looking pretty good right now. He lured James Laurinitis back home from Notre Dame. 

He also hired (and promoted) an interim Wide Receivers coach named Brian Hartline. How’d that work out?

I’ve been watching Ohio State play football for nearly 30 seasons. Day’s offense is light years beyond anything prior to him coming here. Day is the skipper that has this ship headed in the right direction. I’m hoping he stays for several more years, or at least through 2027. Regardless, the 2023 season is not a referendum on his tenure. But with a few more wins it might be a crown jewel. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments