Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My out of Body Experience with Chiefs Fans As a Buckeye Fan

+44 HS
Maestro's picture
October 13, 2023 at 12:03pm
80 Comments

I think I'm being taught a lesson by the football gods.

I live in Kansas City.  I am surrounded by Chiefs fans, including my immediate family members, and for the past decade I have had the unique experience of watching a fanbase change right before my eyes. 

I have lived here for most of the past 30 years and when I first moved here the Chiefs had just signed Joe Montana and Marty Schottenheimer was at the height of his coaching powers. There was a buzz, there was hope and excitement, there was not entitlement or unreasonable expectations.  Chiefs fans were certainly excited for the possibilities of having a future HOF QB on their team, but cautious optimism was what I witnessed. 

Over the next 20ish years I watched them continue to struggle with their team's seemingly endless failures, but they never lost their passions for their team.  The Chiefs are a HUGE part of the city's identity.

Fast forward to present day.  Things sure have changed.  The Chiefs are as successful as a franchise can ever hope to be.  The city has hosted 5 straight AFC Championships.  The Chiefs have won their division 7 straight times and show no signs of having that streak end any time soon.  It's fun. Well, it's fun to be around the periphery of it.

I sit back and observe and it's very interesting.  Many fans have become entitled.  Many fans don't seem to enjoy the victories.  Many fans complain about Andy Reid's coaching style.  Many fans see the weaknesses and discount all of the strengths.  Many fans don't seem to appreciate what they are witnessing.

As a Buckeye fan I see myself in many of them.  It's like an out of body experience.  I try to talk them off their perceived ledges.  I try to help them find the joy in their team's victories.  I try to convince them to have patience.  I try to point out the strengths that they seem to ignore or take for granted.  I try, and I chuckle under my breath, and I look in the mirror.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 80 Comments