College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Proposed Clock Changes - Football

+6 HS
Buckeyefan774's picture
February 23, 2023 at 11:30am
50 Comments

Seems like the powers at be are again considering rule changes to the clock.

The article states that 2 are considered non-controversial - which I agree with, and I would believe the majority of fans would as well.

The non-controversial proposals include (1) prohibiting consecutive timeouts (ie, icing kickers) and (2) no longer extending a first or third quarter for an untimed down if the quarter ends on a defensive penalty (the down would be clocked starting the next quarter).

The other 2 would change our current iteration of college football - 

In a third proposal that is garnering wide support, the clock will continue to run after an offense gains a first down except inside of two minutes in a half. In a more controversial fourth proposal, the clock will continue to run after an incomplete pass once the ball is spotted for play.

The third proposal doesn't bother me all too much, as it is basically the NFL but still allows for the epic final drives at the end of games with the clock back to stopping in the final 2 minutes after first downs.

I completely hate the fourth proposal as it fundamentally changes the game and is never how football has been played (at least in my lifetime).

Thoughts on these proposed changes?

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/20/college-football-shorter-game-rules 

(Mod Edit: moved to the College Sports Forum.)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 50 Comments