Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The (incorrect) Bowers FIrst Down Changed Entire Game...

0 HS
Kneelblender's picture
January 1, 2023 at 9:23am
12 Comments

I know everyone is upset about the non call on targeting - and honestly, I do not believe there is any consistency in how this is decided.   Forget the non-call, losing Harrison was the most painful part of that.

But - when they overturned the incredible defensive stance and gave Bowers a First Down, I was overcome with a horrific feeling of dread.  To me, that changed everything.

We were up 38-24 with 10 minutes to go.   If we take the ball back and move it at all, we take time off the clock and we can punt and make them WORK for a TD. (in fact, our next drive, we scored a TD)

When Bowers went out of bounds, the ball was short of the line.  The MILLI-SECOND the call breaks the plane of out of bounds, it is over..the ball is marked.  Inexplicably, they allowed him to continue to moved the ball forward out of bounds UNTIL he touched out.  It is almost like all the refs (and replay) collectively forgot a basic rule.

That call was wrong.

(Mod Edit: Closing.) See https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football /2023/01/136518/please-explain-to-me-how-bowers-got-that-first-down

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments