Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

To Me It Comes Down to Two Things

-2 HS
westy81585's picture
January 1, 2023 at 1:13am
40 Comments

You could list a million "one thing going the other way" examples from this game that change the outcome.  I'm not gonna do that.  I'm not gonna harp on the bad calls Day did make, down the stretch in particular - because point blank I thought overall he called an outstanding game.  I can't even point the finger at Stroud just "not having it" or the team "playing soft" - because my god neither of those thing could be farther from the truth tonight.  And I'm not gonna rag on the refs - who had a number of head scratchers that I could live with if there weren't so many, and one truly awful reversal with the targeting (honestly a good showing for a PAC-12 team).  

To me it comes down to two things, and they are two of the three issues I've had with Day as our head coach;  over the course of Days' tenure our running game and our secondary have devolved to the point where they are costing us games.  We frankensteined together a running game tonight, and yes you can blame a lot of it on injuries - but we are not the first team to have those issues.  Each year under Day I feel like our running game has gotten a little worse.  And our secondary - I don't think I need to explain it.  It has just fallen apart to the point where solid to good play is something to be excited about.  

IMO those two things cost us this game.  We couldn't establish a power run game that kept us on the field another couple minutes of ToP (probably taking a scoring opportunity away from UGA), and our secondary gave up too many big plays.

To me - you have to make big changes to fix those two issues immediately.  This was a down year for the college game, this UGA team would not have been favored to beat any of the Bama, Clemson, or OSU squads from a few years ago... and it took our hands down best game of the last two years to still lose by 1.  If we don't fix this we're gonna get waxed next year by either the skunks, or someone in a New Years or playoff game.    

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments