Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

What To Do In Atlanta If Traveling To The Peach Bowl

+12 HS
milhouse4588's picture
December 8, 2022 at 10:53am
134 Comments

Hey Buckeyes,

I figured this thread could be an official "welcome to Atlanta" thread where folks who live here or familiar with the city can provide recommendations on where to stay, what to do, where to eat, and more, for the folks traveling to the city for the game and may have a couple days to kill leading up to it/afterwards.

I don't have time to include everything I'd recommend in the OP but I'll be adding things as I can in the replies.

*Editing the below with recommendations from all poster*

Buckeye Bars:

For those in the city but can't go to the game itself there are two main Buckeye bars.

• Hudson Grille Sandy Springs - this is the official Alumni Association bar. The crowd will be big, I'm sure they'll have food and drink specials. It's going to be the biggest crowd of Buckeyes not inside the stadium or tailgating.
  • Big Sky Buckhead - This is the bar for the Young Buckeyes of Atlanta group. It will naturally be a bit younger and is a smaller group but will have a different vibe than Hudson Grille. My group of friends still run this group and I know you'll have a good time watching. They will have drink specials and possibly food specials as well.

Activities:

• College Football HOF - I really recommend coming here if you have time. It's very well done and there are a lot of things to actually "do" instead of just walking through a museum.
  • World of Coke - Personally I think it's a bit hum-drum but someone who enjoys these types of things would like it. It's well put together and at the end you can sample about a dozen different Coke products from around the world which is fun. Very kids friendly.
  • Georgia Aquarium - One of the best aquariums in the country for a reason. Obviously kid-focused but adults will enjoy it as well. Really takes at least a half day or more to see everything.
  • Piedmont Park - our city's version of a Central Park. Pretty darn big and lots of space for hanging out, sports, walking/exercising, you name it. It'll be cold but worth exploring if the weather is nice. Park Tavern is a restaurant at one corner of the park that will have good winter drinks and may have their ice rink set up (not sure if they are still doing it every year).
  • The Beltline - a city-wide project connecting the various neighborhoods via a single pathway. Countless restaurants, bars, and activities sit along the Beltline. It's worth a visit at almost any point you access it.
  • The Battery - This is where Truist Park, the Braves Stadium, is located. It's a large complex of restaurants, bars, and other venues. Food ranging from sports bar, to high end steakhouse, to frozen cocktails, to a little bit of everything. There is a whiskey distillery, bowling, green space/fountains, dueling piano bar, and a ton more. Sport & Social is the best sports bar in the Atlanta area with a 40-foot projector screen as the centerpiece, along with bar games and an awesome atmosphere. I highly recommend going here to watch some other sports while you're down here.

Food:

• Pizza:
    • Antico's is going to be the most recommended as it is the most well-known and delicious. True, authentic Neo-style pizza. There are multiple locations now (one at The Battery too) and worth a stop.
  • BBQ:
    • Secret Pint BBQ - if there is a pop-up the weekend of the game, this is the absolute best BBQ in GA. It's not close, and we have some great BBQ in the city.
    • Fox Bros - the Atlanta staple. Excellent BBQ and their Frito pie is a must-have.
    • Heirloom - owner by a Korean woman and American man, they make traditional BBQ dishes with a Korean twist. Think miso-injected pork butt, and Korean sweet potatoes. I truly love this place and recommend stopping here.
  • Burgers: 
    • NFA Burger - my personal favorite burger in the city. Located in a Chevron gas station (not as weird as it sounds once you're there), it has won almost every possible award a burger can win in GA. It's a smash burger and their tater tots are the best I've had in the city, fried in beef tallow.
    • Vortex - one of the most-mentioned in the comments below. This is a place that is as much about their shtick as it is about their burgers. A ton of options ranging from basic burgers to ones with insane toppings. I've always enjoyed my burger here and they also have a pretty extensive beer list.
  • Steakhouse:
    • Kevin Rathbun's - one of the best steakhouses in the city, it fits everything you'd expect from a steakhouse. Excellent wine and liquor list, and the steak they serve is top-notch. Always great service as well. This is located right next to the Beltline which is perfect for pre- or post-dinner drinks/activities.
    • Marcel - A french-inspired Steakhouse it has the best vibe of the elite steakhouses in Atlanta, in my opinion, along with the best service. Every meal comes with a traditional bread service with a small charcuterie board and made-from-scratch bread, and spreadable cheese. Unreal. Each table has multiple servers who can answer any question about the menu you may have, down to ingredients and how each dish is made. My favorite steakhouse in the city.
    • Kaiser's - listing this one because it's my "hometown" one up in Sandy Springs on the North side of the perimeter. Wonderful service, every steak is cooked perfectly, and their cookie skillet is the best you'll find. Highly recommend.
    • Hal's/Bones - two different steakhouses but figured I could put them together because they are frequently mentioned together when asking people about best steak in the city. Both are great but I prefer other restaurants in the city over these.
    • Little Alley's - there are two locations, with the original being in Roswell. The original has a better vibe than the Buckhead location with it being smaller and less "corporate steakhouse". Really, REALLY good steak and the best bourbon list of any steakhouse in the city. Canton Street in Roswell, where this is located, is also a great location to walk around and bar hop and just enjoy the small-town vibe that you don't get in ATL.
  • International food:
    • Buford Highway is a main stretch of road on the Northeast side of Atlanta that is the epicenter of international food here in Atlanta. You can find everything from Korean and Japanese, to Indian, to Ethiopian, to Mexican, to pretty much anything. Some places I highly recommend:
      • So Kong Dong (*giggle*) - Korean BBQ. Pretty traditional Korean BBQ and not very expensive. Excellent place.
      • LanZhou Ramen - AMAZING noodles and a huge menu. Get your noodle fix here and take the kids because they have a window where you can watch them make it.
    • The best bowl of ramen in Atlanta, IMO, is Okiboru in Sandy Springs. The owner previously owned a location in California that was on the Michelin list. He has since moved here. It's extremely authentic Tsukemen and Tonkotsu ramen. And they might have the best french fries in Atlanta which makes no sense but trust me on this one. In the winter when you'll be visiting this is a must-have.

Like I said, I'll add more in the comments as I have time but wanted to start this to help the fans out that will be here. Go Bucks!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 134 Comments