Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Is It Possible That in Our Quest for Perfection, We Are Missing How Good This Team Really Is???

+33 HS
Sloopy1976's picture
October 30, 2022 at 11:32am
102 Comments

I've read all the threads, and I've commented in many of them: Our defense isn't quite there yet, the run game is struggling (and the 293 reasons why), the playcalling is head scratching (I agree), etc. However, is it possible that a fan base known for demanding perfection who is so entrenched emotionally in the team might be missing just how good the Buckeyes really are? We went into the most hostile environment in CFB yesterday and were up 3 TDs late in the 4th before a meaningless TD was put on the board with a minute left. Is that not good enough? I browsed the metrics this morning and when you take off the S&G glasses the results say that as a fanbase, we are missing something:

SP+: Overall #1 (32.1); #1 offense, #6 defense

FPI: Overall #1 (28.8); 30.7% likelihood that we win the NC 

Sagarin: #1 in all metrics: Overall, Predictor, Golden Mean, and Recent (also 3-0 vs top 30; only Bama, with a 4-1 record, has more wins vs. top 30)

All of this means is that when you rate performances, OSU is more efficient and effective than any team in the country...and it doesn't matter which metric you choose (FPI, Sagarin, SP+, the formula my son's 7th grade class uses to rank teams, etc.), the Bucks are #1. 

Before you pull the "well, we haven't played anyone yet" card, remember, Sagarin has us as 3-0 vs the top 30. Also, according to Sagarin, we have a stronger schedule to this point than UGA, TN, and TTUN. In addition, according to ESPN's FPI our strength of record is #2 (TN is getting the nod due to its win over Bama). 

What I have noticed is that when I watch the game already knowing the outcome (my son plays flag football and his games are usually in the morning on Saturday and we live out west) is that it gives me a different perspective on the team because I'm not watching "in the heat of the moment." I DVR the games and if the game is a noon banger back east, I watch it when we get home already knowing that the Bucks have prevailed. When I watch the games this way, it is a lot easier to gain a steady perspective (one without emotion) about this team. We're damn good, fellas. We're not perfect (yet), but my advice would be to enjoy the ride. 

GO BUCKS!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 102 Comments