Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My Attempt at a Breakdown of the "spill and Kill" Concept We Heard So Much About This Offseason (skycam Highlights)

+8 HS
prof20's picture
September 5, 2022 at 1:41pm
12 Comments

I know this video was posted to the forum already, but I'm really only asking people look at one play in this so I hope this is okay. I am no scheme expert like Kyle Jones and I don't know all the terminology, but I have read my fair share this offseason about Knowles's defense trying to learn as much as I can about what to look for. I think the below clip is a great example of the "spill and kill" concept many have talked about this offseason.

I believe I embedded this to start at the correct play, but if not, fast forward to 2:35. I recommend watching in slow-mo.

It seems like a blitz was already dialed up here, or maybe the players read their keys correctly and performed the correct call, because the first thing you notice is Brown, Simon, Eichenberg, and McCalister flying toward the line of scrimmage. Except they're not running willy nilly, they know exactly where to fill and are moving in a controlled fashion, a far cry from previous years. You also notice quickly Tyleik Williams (lined up over the LG) absorbing a double team, and holding that double team for the extent of the play, creating a numbers mismatch up front.

Ty Hamilton starts off double teamed by the C and RG, but the RG sees McCalister filling a gap and takes him. At the same time, the pulling WR takes Brown, who's doing a great job of staying in his lane and keeping outside contain. At this point, we have 8 blockers occupying 7 defenders. JT completely dominates the TE assigned to him, eliminating the lane the play was supposed to hit. The RB knows he has nowhere to go and tries to cut back (spill!). Surprise! Ty Hamilton is a beast and wins his one-on-one, and the RB runs right into him. Play essentially over.

HOWEVER, what I love the most here is that even if Hamilton doesn't win his one-on-one and the RB is able to get past him, Ronnie is right there behind him filling the gap, ready to make the play. If the RB tried to bounce it outside to the other side (he couldn't because JT blew up this play from the get-go) Eichenberg was waiting for him in that gap. Behind Eichenberg, Ransom correctly reads where the play was supposed to go (ALERT: FREE SAFETY CORRECTLY READING RUN PLAY) and fills in there, eventually finishing off the ball carrier for good measure.

Occupy blocks, spill the ball carrier outside, kill the ball the carrier. This play has everything we could hope for in game one of the new defense. DL winning one-on-ones. Outside contain. DBs as willing run support (I just love McCalister running straight into the chest of a guard). Gaps filled by our best tacklers. Safety ready to clean up. Tackle made, play over before it started. Thank you Jim Knowles.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments