Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Columbus Dispatch | Weird OSU Football History

+9 HS
JM's picture
October 5, 2021 at 9:58pm
34 Comments

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2021/10/01/weird-ohio-state-history-includes-joe-paterno-woody-hayes-kvaughan-pope-florida-gators-buckeyes-osu/5927645001/

Found this article from Rob Oller (Dispatch) and found it interesting. I was reminded of the time JoePa had an 'issue' and had to run to the bathroom before the half during the 2006 (?) OSU/PSU game. He returned to the sideline in the 2nd half wearing a different pair/color of slacks. Poor fella, I think he had the flu at the time.

Then, there was was infamous body slam of a rogue fan by Anthony Schlegel in 2014. Schlegs sprang into action like a panther on that one. 

I was struck, however, by this quote:

(AJ) Trapasso confirmed a long-standing rumor that a melee broke out in the Ohio State locker room between "two prominent players" just minutes before the 2007 Fiesta Bowl against Florida" "Half the team jumped up and was involved in it," Trapasso said, adding that the argument between players was over something involving "free time" and not football.

I would love to know if this is the rumored fracas between Troy Smith and Anthony Gonzalez. I hadn't heard that it happened moments before the team took the field – crazy! It always felt like that night was "off". Definitely don't want to rehash it, but this adds to the stew of things that went wrong that night... up to and including the Gators imposing D-line.

Part of the impetus of this piece by Oller was clearly the K'Vaughan Pope "situation". And I will say, as with the current predicament Urban Meyer finds himself in, our Buckeyes tend to do things with a certain... grandiosity, I guess. Good or bad.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 34 Comments