Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

100 Years of Almost Ohio Dominance

+9 HS
ziplock007's picture
October 4, 2021 at 11:11pm
16 Comments

We all know the stat...

As required by state, federal, and local law: every time OSU plays in in-state opponent, the broadcast crew reminds us of the following.  The last loss to an In-State Opponent: Oberlin 7-6 on Oct 8, 1921.  We're 4 days away from 100 Years!

Never to lose in Ohio Again... it was so momentus that,

Oberlin celebrated the win with multiple bonfires, Indian Hopi dances and loud bells. source

I'd give a list of close-calls from the Tressel era... but I'm sure that article is awaiting Friday (if we're lucky, Ramzy is writing it as we sleep).

But, when was the last time OSU didn't defeat an in-state foe?

• November 1st, 1924 vs. Wooster
    • Amazingly, this gets almost no mention...
  • Yep, 97 years ago, The Buckeyes and The Fightin' Scots battled to a 7-7 tie

11W: The Fighting Scots tied the Buckeyes in Ohio Stadium, 7-7, thanks to a late fourth quarter touchdown, and would enter the history books. Technically, Oberlin is the last in-state program to defeat Ohio State (1921), but the 1924 game with Wooster was the last time Ohio State did not defeat a school from Ohio in a game of football.

Much has been made of this buildup to 100 years.   I say we have TWO 100 year celebrations (to the chagrin of Cincy and half the MAC).

• The only road blocks remaining: Toledo 2022 & TBA 2024 (2023 has none).
  • Also, a fun fact, both anniversaries take place on Fridays... raise a glass to 100 years and thank the departed that paved this amazing path :)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 16 Comments