Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The 2021 Cornerback Situation

+19 HS
OxfordRaisedBuckeyeBred's picture
January 16, 2021 at 1:47am
39 Comments

Safeties will be next and I will split the positions individually due to length of the article.

THE CANDIDATES:

Sevyn Banks (4th year in program)

Banks, like every other OSU defensive back, struggled, but showed flashes at times and may end up as the next man up in Ohio State’s defensive back lineage, providing that he produces a strong offseason and shows up ready to play. Will likely get the start at outside cornerback alongside the next man I will be talking about.

Cam Brown (4th year in program)

The speedy STL native who got significant playing time in 2019 suffered a season-ending, non-contact Achilles injury during the 2020 Penn State game. He should be fully healed and ready to make a splash in 2021, if he has a great development pattern under Coombs, he can really help this secondary. I expect him to start alongside Sevyn Banks at outside corner.

Marcus Williamson (5th year in program)

An Ohio native and IMG attendee, Williamson was originally recruited to Ohio State by Kerry Coombs in his first tenure and committed to play for him, However, Coombs left during the next offseason, and his development was hindered by having three defensive back coaches in three years. Williamson happened to be a very lucky man in 2020, with Coombs coming back and Shaun Wade switching to outside corner. However, he struggled with his opportunity at slot corner. Heading into the Clemson game, everyone thought he was outmatched by Amari Rodgers, but Williamson outperformed expectations and gave up less than 60 yards to Rodgers. However, Williamson went back to normal against Alabama. He decided to return to OSU and is expected to start at slot corner again.

Tyreke Johnson (4th year in program)

It’s now or never for the former 5-star recruit, who was labeled as a safety out of high school, and probably should have stuck to that position. He got 50 snaps against Rutgers, where he racked up 4 tackles. He immediately fell back down the depth chart after that game, and never got to rotate in much for Wade and Banks, which is kind of telling of his position within the program. I doubt he sees significant playing time, especially with the return or Cam Brown, but he still has a bit of a chance to live up to his 5-star billing.

Ryan Watts (2nd year in program)

Saw the field in garbage time in 2020 and has some potential. He may have to wait a year to see the field, but Watts may become a starter at the position in 2022 due to some corners leaving the program, whether it is via the NFL, graduation, or transfer. I expect him to be a full-on 2nd string corner in 2021 and could get meaningful minutes.

Lejond Cavazos (2nd year in program)

Freak athlete with a 44-inch vertical that didn’t see the field in 2020. I expect that to change and we will see the IMG product on the field during late garbage time in 2021. Cavazos is a prospect that certainly has a lot of potential to be great for the Buckeyes.

Cameron Martinez (2nd year in program)

Didn’t get a single snap at cornerback in 2020 and won Michigan’s Mr. Football for his senior year of high school. Has a chance to be great as the Buckeyes brought in 3 high-potential prospects for corner in the 2020 class. I expect him to see the field in late garbage time and on special teams.

Jakailin Johnson (1st year in program)

Johnson was a near-5 star recruit coming out of DeSmet High School in St. Louis. He joins a deep but inexperienced rotation coming into 2020. Is Johnson too talented not to play? We don’t know. Defensive backs usually need some time to develop but I feel as if Johnson will eventually become a star and continue the lineage.

Jordan Hancock (1st year in program)

Hancock had a wild recruiting story in which he flipped from Clemson to OSU. Again, defensive backs need some time to develop, but I feel as if Hancock is the most ready out of the three freshmen to get early PT and has the least chance to get redshirted out of any of the three incoming freshmen. Hancock has “future star” written all over him.

Denzel Burke (1st year in program)

The athletic (at least more athletic than Jaylin Davies) Arizonan could become a solid corner here but I expect him to take a redshirt due to the sheer amount of cornerbacks on the roster.

In a weird situation with lots of inexperience, where does the depth chart lead?

Outside Corner #1

1. Banks

2. T. Johnson

2. J. Johnson

2. Cavazos

I expect the three #2 players to compete for a second-string gig and a likely starter spot in 2022, due to Banks more likely leaving after 2021. One will possibly transfer whether it is this offseason or next, mainly due to the insanely talented cornerbacks we are recruiting in 2022, and the bright future and future depth we currently have at the position.

Outside Corner #2

1. Brown

2. Watts

2. Hancock

I expect Watts and Hancock to compete for a starting spot in 2022 in the event that Cam Brown leaves, if Brown stays one will likely transfer. Watts and Hancock will probably compete for snaps in garbage time.

For outside corner, one will most likely not be sticking on either side of the ball. During garbage time, you could possibly see guys like Watts and Hancock at the field at the same time. But hey, it’s just a prediction and only the staff knows who is going to be where in the depth chart.

Slot Corner

1. Williamson

2. Martinez

3. Burke (RS)

I would imagine Martinez isn’t backing up Williamson, but it would probably look like that since pretty much everyone else looks like more of an outside guy. Possibly Cavazos but I believe Martinez is slightly ahead on the depth chart due to him seeing special teams time and Cavazos not seeing the field at all.

It is currently 1:40 at night in Indianapolis, and thank you for waking up and taking the time to read this. I’ll cover safeties next.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 39 Comments