Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Grading All the Assistant Coaches

+2 HS
buckslan's picture
January 24, 2020 at 12:42pm
39 Comments

I wanted to grade all 10 assistant coaches in 4 key areas. 

Recruiting - How well do you recruit

Development - How well do you develop those recruits. This can be seen as taking those 5* recruits and having them live up to their rankings, as well as taking 3* recruits and developing them into starters and subsequently to the draft.

Replaceability - How hard would it be to replace you? The higher the score, the harder it would be to replace you if you had left. Can also be seen as the overall value you have to the program.

Draft - Are you sending players to the draft, what rounds are you sending them in, etc. This was hard to judge because like half of the staff is fairly new and have little to no draftees

And lastly, this is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree on some scores. It's definitely not perfect, there are scores that could be bumped 1 or 2 points up or down. I also tried using only their time at OSU to score them, so what Greg Mattison did at TTUN isn't really reflected in the scores.

10. Corey Dennis:

Recruiting 2/10
Development 6/10
Replaceability 3/10
Draft 4/10

Total score 15/40

Really hard to project with Corey Dennis because he's such an unknown. I gave him a higher development score due to the good words that have been said about him from the likes of Burrow, Haskins, and Fields. Recruiting is an unknown and he's replaceable as of right now as a positional coach.

9. Matt Barnes:

Recruiting 4/10
Development 7/10
Replaceability 4/10
Draft 4/10

Total score 19/40

Barnes is another that is hard to project. I graded him more on special teams than I did defensive backs because I believe Hafley/Coombs really coach and develop those positions. I gave him a 7/10 for special teams because I believe that unit
was really good last year, was impressed with the work he did there.

6(t). Al Washington:

Recruiting 6/10
Development 9/10
Replaceability 6/10
Draft 6/10

Total score 27/40

Washington did a fantastic job with the linebackers in 2019. Easiliy the most improved unit on the team. His recruiting is still a big question mark in my opinion.

6(t). Kevin Wilson:

Recruiting 6/10
Development 8/10
Replaceability 9/10
Draft 5/10

Total score 27/40

Kevin Wilson is another tricky one. I feel like he's doin pretty good at recruiting and has been exceptional at developing tight ends, even if they aren't featured much in the passing game. He's hard to replace because he's one half of the brain trust of the offense.

6(t). Tony Alford:

Recruiting 6/10
Development 8/10
Repleaceability 6/10
Draft 7/10

Total score 27/40

I'm going with the assumption here that JK is drafted in the first 2 rounds. I think Alford has recruited well here, better than most think, but the bigger options, the #1 targets have seemed to elude him. I think he has done a great job turning Dobbins
into a workhouse back and think he'll thrive in the NFL, so 8/10 development there.

5. Greg Mattison:

Recruiting 6/10
Development 10/10
Replaceability 8/10
Draft 6/10

Total score 30/40

Given his age I don't hear much of Mattison being a great recruiter like Hartline and LJjr so I gave him a solid 6. Development wise he earned a 10 easily for the work he did with the front 7 and the linebackers. Run defense was just stellar and the big plays problem was completely fixed.

4. Greg Studrawa:

Recruiting 10/10
Development 10/10
Replaceability 6/10
Draft 8/10

Total score 34/40

I'm a lot higher on Stud than most others. I think his recruiting and development of OL has been phenomenal. Our OL is full of 5* and high 4* prospects. It was, in my opinion, the best unit on the team in 2019. I do however think Stud is replaceable.

3. Brian Hartline:

Recruiting 10/10
Development 9/10
Replaceability 10/10
Draft 8/10

Total Score 37/40

Hartline has been an ace recruiter in his short time here and has earned the committments of a billion top 100 receivers. He's also just not replaceable at all. I docked him some points on development and draft though due to guys like Mack/Victor not panning out how I thought they would.

1(t). Kerry Coombs:

Recruiting 9/10
Development 10/10
Replaceability 9/10
Draft 10/10

Total score 38/40

Coombs pretty much checks all the boxes. Nothing really needs to be said about how he develops DB's and sends them to the draft (high draft picks). Only reason I gave him a 9 in recruiting was because, off the top of my head, other than the 2017 class, I wouldn't say he consistently recruited the best DB's to OSU. Certainly not from a rankings standpoint, not in the same way that Hartline has.

1(t). Larry Johnson:

Recruiting 9/10
Development 10/10
Replaceability 9/10
Draft 10/10

Total score 38/40

Not much needs to be said here. He's one of the best ever at developing the players he recruits and sending them to the NFL to make millions of dollars. His pool of 1st round draft picks is about to grow in April again. Only reason he's not a perfect 10 on the replaceability is because I feel like Kenny Anunike (Spelling?) is a good one in waiting.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 39 Comments