Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

“We Will Rock You” or “Heartbreak Hotel” or Something Else?

+2 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
January 5, 2020 at 5:42pm
21 Comments

My subject heading has to do with which song title, if any, do you think best characterizes Ohio State football during your years and experiences as a fan?

I wrote a post earlier this year about how, starting my sophomore year in high school (1968-69), the Buckeyes had five seasons in eight years where, if they had won the final game of the season (and in which they were the higher-ranked team), they would have been either consensus national champions or the champion in at least one of the major polls.  They went 1-4 in those games (although they did earn a second natty in 1970 thanks to the National Football Foundation, which made its award in December prior to the Rose Bowl game against Stanford & Jim Plunkett). 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2019/03/102941/...

Of course, not long after that, there was the 1980 Rose Bowl where undefeated #3 USC scored a late TD to beat the #1 ranked Buckeyes (although, quite frankly, I am not sure Ohio State was the better team going into that game).

In the BCS/CFP era, Ohio State has, overall, had tremendous success, having won or shared 12 Big Ten titles—far more than any other B1G conference teams—and having been to four BCS/CFP championship games, where they have a 2-2 record.  In addition, they have a ton of major Bowl victories during this era (excluding the BCS/CFP title games): 3 Sugar Bowls, 3 Fiesta Bowls, 2 Rose Bowls, 1 Cotton Bowl.  

And, obviously, not to be overlooked, there is the 17-2 run against TTUN since Tress arrived on the scene.  

In the past half century, Ohio State has fewer losing seasons than any other major college football program.

But, as we all painfully know, Ohio State has had its share of near misses.

I guess one reason why the Clemson game, which still bothers me on some level, isn’t bothering me even more at this point is because it was not the championship game.  

Look, I am very VERY grateful to have witnessed the sustained level of excellence Ohio State has demonstrated during my lifetime.  For me, watching Ohio State has largely been a “We Will Rock You” experience.  But there has unquestionably been a decent share of heartbreak too.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments