Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Watching the 1997 Rose Bowl Right Now on ESPN Classic

+1 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
January 2, 2020 at 5:41pm
13 Comments

Of course, I have seen the replay before but it is one of my favorite Bowl victories for a variety of reasons.  

And I turned it on, in part, to move further away from the sting of the Clemson game.

But then, in the first quarter, after Ohio State had two poorly executed plays following an illegal motion penalty—all of which happened after Ohio State had a first down inside the 5-yard-line—Dick Vermeil, who was the game’s commentator on the ABC broadcast, stated bluntly:  “You’re in the red zone in big games, you’d better get 7.”   Not exactly what I wanted to hear at the moment.

Thankfully, in this instance, the Buckeyes came through on the ensuing play as Stanley Jackson connected with David Boston on a third-down TD pass in the front corner of the end zone.

And then a little while later in the game, Arizona State scored on a spectacular diving catch that was ruled a TD on the field.  A replay then showed the receiver clearly never had possession of the ball as it hit the ground while he was trying to make the diving catch and he scooped it up off the ground, with the closest official shielded from the play. But there was no replay review in effect at that time.

So much for trying to escape the Clemson loss.

Even so, this was still one of the great finishes in Buckeye history—and one of the most talented Ohio State teams I have ever seen.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments