Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

College Football Hollywood-like Story and Play of the Decade

+3 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
January 1, 2020 at 12:06pm
6 Comments

Admittedly, I’m biased but, seriously, in major college football, was there a more amazing run and unbelievable narrative than what Ohio State did with its 3rd-string QB, the larger-than-life and lovable Cardale Jones in 2014?

One thing I think gets overlooked is that he came into The Game with everything still on the line.  So it was a stretch involving four games with so much at stake in each one of them.  

And what a stretch it was!  The B1G Title Game was the best performance—the closest to perfection—I have seen by a Buckeyes team ever in a game that had great significance.

And then to vanquish Bama after trailing by 15 in the first half—with Cardale making some HUGE plays in that comeback—who could possibly have predicted that?

I have been watching sports since the 1960s and the scenario and outcome we got to enjoy in 2014 rank right up there with any storybook narrative I have ever witnessed.  

Re the play of the decade: Bama is on the short end of the stick of that as well.  I watched the Kick Six live (on TV of course).  For a single astonishing play—and considering the significance it had right there and then—that was THE play for me.  (The blocked punt by Michigan State against TTUN—which I also had the pleasure of seeing live on TV—is a close second but it just didn’t have the same significance right at the time.)

If anyone else has other candidates, I would love to hear them.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 6 Comments