Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

About The Refs (Replay)

+13 HS
WoodyBruce's picture
December 29, 2019 at 10:10pm
122 Comments

They cost us points, they cost us momentum, but they didn’t cost us the game. We overcame every mistake they made, every mistake we made. It was ours to take at the end, and not by some miracle, but simply executing.

scUM fans employ the “refs have it out for us” every time they lose  Sad  

I think replay refs were influenced by the result of the actions they saw, and not the actions they actually saw. I’ve made a career out of studying this. This isn’t hard science, rather behavioral science (opinion). I tell my teams this all the time, and it actually leads to advantage on the court.

Targeting - if Laurence pops up, nobody is looking at Targeting. The fact that he laid there stunned, then left game, influenced their decision. Review had no idea how long he’d be out, but his absence would’ve been a game changer. Had he gotten up, huddled and moved toward line, no review and no call.

Fumble - if we simply recover fumble, we keep it. They review it and determine he took 3 steps with 2 hands on ball. No BS “the ball was coming loose.” The fact that we picked it up and scored to change the lead gave the play greater significance - and implied greater authority to reviewer.

Everyone involved will claim to be completely unbiased, and they probably are. But they’re also human, and subject to outside factors.

Flame away, I won’t take it personally. Just my opinion. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 122 Comments