College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

College Football: Does EVERY Game Really Matter?

+2 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
November 7, 2019 at 8:02am
51 Comments

An oft-repeated phrase against any CFB change (ESPECIALLY PLAYOFF EXPANSION TO 8 TEAMS)  is -- every week is a playoff, every game matters. I'm not sure that is true or if it has been true if it matters for the future of CFB.

Clemson playing Wofford doesn't really matter. Ohio State playing Miami of Ohio doesn't really matter. We're seeing a decline in attendance and students and fans are speaking up and saying they don't want to see these crap games where the talent gap is so huge. People are also tired of too much subjectivity in the sport -- esp. the SEC bias. 

When it comes to expansion to 8-playoff teams, I think I'd rather see the BEST 8 teams at the end of the season who are all-conference champions (seeds 1-5 automatic bids).  

People fear that CFB will become as diluted as the NFL -- but that will NEVER HAPPEN.  If every team is playing a FULL 9-game conference schedule - the most losses a team would have is 3.  If the committee/computers etc. value quality wins with some weighted point value system, then schools will schedule better games. We're not gonna have a 7-9 team making the playoffs like you can have in the NFL.  I'd be fine with a 12-3 National Champion.  

I'd rather see GREAT non-conference games in August/September (sure, there needs to be a tune-up FBS game or maybe 2). But then give me some OSU-USC/Texas/Bama home/home games.  That's way more exciting & I think better for the future of CFB. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 51 Comments