Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. FAU - Going off Script

+18 HS
Large Father's picture
August 28, 2019 at 9:44pm
14 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans and Days, 

It's been 18 years since I really didn't know what to expect from the Buckeyes on the field.

Since then, it's really been paint-by-numbers when it comes to football.  Ohio State football has been a machine for nearly two decades.  During the Tressel regime, it was automatic that OSU would play in a BCS bowl game.  Turn the page to the Urban era; OSU was either in the CFP or on the cusp.  

If Urban's OSU coaching tenure did not overlap with Darth Saban or Dabo Vader, I'm sure Ohio State would have won multiple CFP championships over the last 7 years.  And, you can't tell me that everything is above board at Clemson.  I'm not sure how many players need to test positive for PEDs at Clemson before someone starts to investigate the Tigers' program using a Facebook page as the "journalistic" platform.  Tress was ousted because his players we're selling their own trinkets...and Urban was undone because he had a coach on his staff in an explosive, destructive relationship.  The only unexpected thing surrounding OSU football for the last two decades was how the media would force out the Buckeye head coach.  Note to Coach Day: make sure your players don't sell their personal items, or employ coaches in unhealthy relationships, but PEDs are apparently fine.

I have no idea what to expect this weekend.  Everything is new.  New head coach, new defensive scheme, new QB, new defensive coaches, etc, etc.  

...and it's really interesting!  

The past couple decades sort of became boring and scripted, in a way.  We knew that once Coach Tress had the lead he was playing for field position and the punt was the most important play.  Under Coach Urban, we knew that whenever 3 or less yards were needed, the QB was running.   With Tress, we knew he would lock down in-state recruits.  With Urban, we knew he would flip some top recruits late and secure a top 5 class.  These were all givens.   

We are on to the next chapter.  Urban left the Woody extremely full of top player talent and support staffers (strength, recruiting, etc).  The OSU football machine should still be quite operational...the keys have been handed over and it will be interesting to see how it is driven.  

I'm watching Ohio State football with a new curiosity.  Tress started 18 years ago and won it all in Year 2.  It took Urban three.  We'll see what the new Ohio State looks like this Saturday...and I'm hoping Coach Day can get there even faster.  

Touchdowns:  Dobbins, Dobbins, Victor, Olave, Demario, KJ Hill, Garrett Wilson

OSU 49 FAU 17

Go Bucks!  Beat FAU!  BB Landers for Heisman!

Large Father

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments