Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Conference Philosophy: Why Not Use Multiple Running Backs?

+3 HS
bull1214's picture
August 22, 2019 at 3:13pm
20 Comments

I don’t see a reason or an advantage to most BIG10 teams preferring one bell cow RB instead of (I hate to say this) the sec philosophy of using multiple rb’s pretty much equally. Yes I know last year we used Weber/dobbins like that and it wasn’t our most effective year at running the ball, but I think if you keep it going year after year that’s when it starts to really be effective. For example, bama and Georgia never really seem to have noticeable rb competitions for the starting job. They just seem know which “2” rb’s will get the bulk of the carries and still find a way to get a 3rd rb some momentum that gets them ready for the next year after one spot opens up. Meanwhile, in our conference it’s a battle to be “the guy” and if they aren’t an all world talent we are screwed! Right now we are having trouble finding top running back recruits to come here and battle for the top spot while Georgia is on the verge of bringing in 2 5 star guys in the same class. Bama routinely does this also. Just a though on philosophy 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments