Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Saints Sign JT Barrett... for 13th Time

+18 HS
Defiance's picture
January 21, 2019 at 10:56am
53 Comments

Good morning Dubbers and Happy MLK Day!!

Here's a tidbit of information completely unrelated to the post title but interesting nonetheless. I was driving into work today listening to WBBM news radio (105.9FM for you WIndy City types) and the smart quiz question of the hour was: "What was MLK Jr's birth name?" I just always assumed he was born Martin Luther King, Jr. but then again this wouldn't be the first time an error was proceeded but an assumption, right?!?

So here's the deal:

He was born Michael King on January 15, 1929, and a few years later, his father, also Michael King, changed his name to Martin Luther King, Sr., in honor of the great protestant reformer, and his son's name was also changed to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Who knew! In one fail swoop Michael King became Martin Luther King, Sr. and of course what's good for one is better for two so we also have Martin Luther King, Jr. 

So now onto some football news. We all know what JT "Weenie Arm" Barrett means to us fans of tOSU Buckeyes and we also know that while be went undrafted, he was signed by the New Orleans Saints post draft. Most of us know that while he didn't stick on the 53 man roster, he was signed to the practice squad and continues to toil away, hoping to make that jump back to the 53 man roster again some day soon.

What I didn't know was how many times he's been signed and dropped since then. Check this out:

Once again, J.T. Barrett is the subject of a transaction in New Orleans.

The team signed the rookie quarterback to their practice squad and cut wide receiver Paul Turner from the unit, according to the official NFL transaction wire report.

This marks the 13th time the Saints have added Barrett and the 25th transaction overall involving the team and the player since he joined the franchise on May 1.

Can you imagine the roller coaster that JT must be on with that type of activity in such a short span of time?! Think about that for a second, 13 times since May1st!!

The quarterback was signed and released a total of six times in the month of September, four times in the month of October, twice in November, six times in December, and three times in January.

After initially signed in May, he was also waived at the end of August.

Barrett came to the Saints this offseason shortly following the NFL Draft after not being selected by any team, and had hoped to make an impact in the team’s backup quarterback competition along with Taysom Hill and veteran Tom Savage, but after an up and down preseason, and the Saints acquiring Teddy Bridgewater, his hold on a roster spot loosened.

I'm fairly certain I'm not alone in the JT Barrett cheering section and would love to see him make the roster out of camp next year, whether it's with the Saints or any of the other 31 teams that make up the NFL landscape. Will he make it in NO along with the rest of the Buckeyes that sprinkle the roster down in The Big Easy or will he fare better somewhere else. Who knows but it's fun to watch him compete and I for one will continue to root for him regardless of what zip code he lands in.

Unfortunately, this last part was written before the results were in from the NFC CG but it's fun to think of what could have been:

If he can stick around through Feb. 3, Barrett might get himself a Super Bowl ring, provided the Saints can get past the Rams refs and then beat the AFC champion in Atlanta.

Here's to a bright and more stable 2019 for Joseph Thomas Barrett and all The Buckeyes playing on Sunday!!

Here's a link for the rest of the story. Banter on lads and ladies!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 53 Comments