Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Washington - "Dwayne Haskins Throws for 10 Touchdowns." - Jake, Age 9

+10 HS
Large Father's picture
December 30, 2018 at 4:52pm
3 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans and Days, 

My youngest son, Jake, was two when Urban first took over as head coach. 

I planned on having Jake as a "guest columnist" for the Rose Bowl match-up against Washington.  I've been using his score prediction for the last two seasons, so I thought I would start incorporating him a little more now that he's a sage 9-year old.  But, this is all I could get from him when I asked for his prognostication: 

"Dwayne Haskins throws for 10 touchdowns."  - Jake, age 9

He actually knows a lot about college football, so he chuckled after offering this "pearl"...and essentially was telling me "write your own prediction, Dad."

I thought about his perspective.  So far, Jake has only known Ohio State at the pinnacle Coach Urban created. After the 10-touchdown "prediction," I said to him that it will be interesting to see if his Ohio State football experience continues at the current pace into late elementary, middle school and possibly even high school while driving back from his basketball game earlier today.  With that thought, he screamed from the backseat, "Oh, it will!" 

I remember being the same age when I was a kid and Ohio State football was in the thick of the Earl Bruce years. It was a given that Ohio State would go 9-3...and there was a 50-50 chance the Buckeyes would beat Michigan.  As a grade school kid, I thought the Buckeyes were the best team in college football...they could do no wrong....and today a 9-3 record is unacceptable.  Fans have heartburn when Ohio State goes 12-2 or 11-2.  In my minds eye, I still perceive Keith Byers ran for 300 yards every time he took the field (I must have been continually replaying the 1984 games vs Illinois) and Cris Carter had 3 touchdowns per game (even though he topped out at 11 in a season).

If that was my perceived reality when I was Jake's age despite OSU football reality of the early to mid 80s, maybe elementary school kids today really do think Dwayne will throw for 10 touchdowns in the Rose Bowl.  Why not?  

Because of Urban and his staff over the last seven seasons, today's reality is that anything is possible...the potential reaches outlandish heights.  I love that this will always be Jake's perception of his earliest Ohio State football memories.  

...and I still think Keith Byers could rush for 300 yards, Cris Carter would catch 3 touchdowns and Dwayne Haskins will throw 10 touchdowns.  Why not?    

Touchdowns:  Dobbins, Dobbins, Dixon, Weber, Campbell, McLaurin

OSU 42 Washington 17

Go Bucks!  Beat Washington!  BB Landers for Heisman!

Large Father

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 3 Comments