Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Urban 1-on-1 with Pete Thamel

+4 HS
tbdbitlbuck's picture
December 5, 2018 at 11:40am
24 Comments

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-1-1-hope-find-something-fall-love-1...

Meyer reflected on why his legacy means so much to him, addressed the public assumption he’d soon return to the sideline and explained why he’d never be able to coach in the NFL.

“I never thought of it as scared, more anxious,” he said of the future. “I’m still relatively young. I’m a very passionate, hard-working person who is going to have to fill a void.”

That void looms as one of the most captivating spaces in sports. Could it be golf that fills it? His second grandchild? More charity work? A gig on television? Meyer isn’t quite sure yet, although he’s spoken with OSU athletic director Gene Smith about a role mentoring coaches and athletes at Ohio State. That’s intriguing to Meyer, whose career has evolved to a job less about schematics and more about motivating players as the years have passed.

“There’s a little anxiety involved in what’s next,” he said. “I’ve thought about that. I’m not a wake-up late kind of guy. I hope I find a passion.”

Meyer was told the immediate reaction to the news he’d be retiring: A round of speculation about when and where he’d return. USC next season if Clay Helton gets let go? Notre Dame if Brian Kelly ever left? On and on it went. When Yahoo Sports asked Meyer if he’d ever come back, he answered: “I don’t think I am.”...

Marotti brought up an interesting point: “Where’s he really going to go?” There are so few jobs Meyer would take, that it would limit his options. Ohio State was one, and there aren’t a lot of others. Meyer would sneer at the middle-class jobs that opened in the current cycle – Louisville, Maryland, North Carolina, Colorado, etc.

That’s similar to the reason he’s never seriously considered the NFL. Meyer took the Bowling Green job after flipping through the press guide to see they historically had a winning record against most MAC opponents. He left there for Utah because they were No. 1 in budget in the Mountain West and in one of the league’s top markets.

For all the Packers fans tweeting about Meyer going there, don’t bother. He said he could never work in the NFL, as his extreme tendencies wouldn’t mesh with a job where losing four times a season is celebrated as a success. Meyer went 54-4 in Big Ten play during his seven seasons at Ohio State.

“I could never work at a place … I see some of these guys’ records because the NFL is so even,” he said. “Some of these guys, their record is 74-58. I could never do that.”

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments