Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What Real Changes Do You Think Will Result from Day As HC? What Do You Want to See?

+5 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
December 4, 2018 at 6:20pm
58 Comments

There's a lot of threads right now about Ryan Day and Urban Meyer, as might be expected. However most of these threads are speculating on subjects such as whether it was right to hire Day right out of the gate without conducting a national search first, or whether Ryan Day understands the rivalry, or whether Urban Meyer's coaching staff will still be retained. 

This thread poses a different line of inquiry. Now that Meyer is gone and Day will take his place, do you envision any changes in Ohio State's philosophy and play-calling on either side of the ball? 

Do you think we'll continue to evolve into a more pro-style offense? Do you think we'll maintain the defensive standards set by previous Ohio State teams? 

Personally I have a few wishes for the Day regime. 

1) Abandon the infatuation with the QB-run-driven offense. In my opinion, the number of times Dwayne Haskins has carried the ball in the last few games is exactly where I want the offense to be--maybe your QB carries the ball 6 or 7 times. Runningbacks exist for a reason. 

2) Maintain the high standards for special teams excellence set by Tressel and upheld by Meyer. The Michigan State game is a perfect example of how elite special teams can save your bacon when either your defense or offense are performing below par. I would however like to see more kickoff return touchdowns (or, you know, at least one kickoff return touchdown) in the future. 

3) Restore our O-line to its former glory. I'm sure Studrawa is a good guy, I just don't think he's been a great O-line coach. There has to be someone better.

4) Can Bill Davis. He should be the first let go, before Studrawa even. 

5) Recruit the next Dwayne Haskins, or develop him from a QB we already have. I can't stress enough how important to me it is that we find a pure passer to fill Dwayne's shoes once he's gone. I can't go back to the dink-and-dunk style passing offense we ran with pretty much every QB before him. 

6) Reintroduce the use of a fullback or some equivalent type player. In short yardage situations, we had absolutely no credible threat in the run-game. We need a package for a bruising, short yardage power run game. I think someone like Rashod Berry could fill the role. 

What about the rest of you? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 58 Comments