Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Urban Picked Day (so if You Believe in Urbs, Trust His Decision).

+11 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
December 4, 2018 at 10:25am
43 Comments

First, thank you Urban... for everything.  O-H!

Second, I’m a huge Luke Fickell fan. I thought he deserved this shot. I think he left and took Cincy to prove that he’d be ready to take over OSU by 2020/21/22 or so (when Urban was planning to retire). What he’s done to turn around a terrible Cincy team in 2 years is impressive, regardless of the league being “meh.” 

Matt Campbell is a guy who I thought would get a true shot, too. He’s proven himself as a head coach, is an Ohio guy, and is the same age as Day.

BUT... Urban set this program up and virtually hand picked Ryan Day. He calls him “elite” and the best OC he’s ever had. That’s pretty huge. 

I believe Urban respects Fick. But Fick is a Jim Tressel guy. And he’s a defensive coach. 

I knew Urban was done when he really kept hyping Day more and more as “elite.” And His body language gave it away also.  His heart wants to coach but his mind (and family) are telling him it’s time. 

His love for Ohio State wanted to set the program up for a smooth transition... keeping recruits, key personnel, and culture.  

Urban deduced that Ryan Day was the man for the job. We are gonna have to trust his true final decision as he is (90% winning percentage) now the greatest coach in OSU history.

If it doesn’t work out... Fickell will be down the road at Cincy and will always come back. Other quality coaches will arise, too. No need to worry. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 43 Comments