Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Comparing The Schedules of the Top 6

+7 HS
BuckeyeInOrlando's picture
December 3, 2018 at 5:21pm
18 Comments

This will be my only forum post about the playoffs. I suggest we all get them out of our system over the next couple of days, then move on to what I think is a very good Washington team (3 losses by 10 total points!)... that should be a good one, and I think there can be a lot of good discussions about that one for the next few weeks!

I was watching one of the conference championship games Saturday (SEC... Big XII?) and a commentator mentioned a few times how one team had ten wins over Power 5 opponents (or was attempting to get win #10 over a P5 school?) Apparently, this 10th win was a sign of their playoff worthiness. OK, I'll bite.

I'm going to look at how many "Power 5" teams each of the top 6 BEAT this season. I'm not going to differentiate between Power 5 LSU, Power 5 Northwestern, Power 5 Kansas, or Power 5 Rutgers. For the sake of this post (and the tv football commentator guy's argument), Power 5 is Power 5.

If you aren't good enough to play for Ohio State or Penn State but you're good enough to get offers from Rutgers or Oregon State , you take those offers because there's a lot to be proud of in being a "Big Ten football player" or a "Pac 12 football player." Power 5 schools have better players than "Group of 5 schools." Power 5 schools have better players than FCS schools. They just do. Don't @ me.

Team A: 11 wins over P5 schools
Team B: 8 wins over P5 schools
Team C: 11 wins over P5 schools
Team D: 10 wins over P5 schools
Team E: 10 wins over P5 schools
Team F: 10 wins over P5 schools
Hmmmm... One of these teams is not like the other.

So, who are these mystery teams?
A: Ohio State
B: Georgia
C: Clemson
D: Oklahoma
E: Alabama
F: Notre Dame

Although, in Georgia's defense, they did have impressive back-to-back wins over #10 Florida, and #14 Kentucky after the loss to #11 LSU (Using the final CFP rankings, of course). Oh and just for fun; Florida, Kentucky, and LSU each won 6 games against P5 teams. Like these SEC super powers, Purdue also won 6 games against P5 teams. Penn State won 7.
West Virginia won 7, TTUN won 8 against P5.
Texas won 8, Northwestern won 8.

OK, I'm done.
Go Bucks! Beat WaRshington!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments