Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What Happened (and Other Thoughts)

+3 HS
NoVAsmitty's picture
December 3, 2018 at 3:37pm
68 Comments

Just another post on the CFP final #6 ranking, but this one is based off something Heather Dinich said yesterday and a missive in this morning's Letterman Row. 

I stated in these parts before Thanksgiving that the Buckeyes needed help.  First they had to win out, and they sure did.  But next they had to have WVU, Wazzu, and OU lose.  Two of the three did.  After Tim Beck took over in the 4th quarter Saturday and beat another tOSU team, it came down to whether the Committee would kick out ND for the Buckeyes.   A long shot, but one that was entirely possible based on ND's one-score wins over Ball State, Vandy, Pitt, USC, and Michigan, as well as the "eye test."  Who would say that ND won the "eye test" over either OU, tOSU, or UGA?  No one would.  And since ND could not be said to be the "best team" vs any of the three, then "the other criteria" applies such as conference championships won, common opponents, etc.  That was the only way in for the Buckeyes, but once we saw that ND remained at #3, I knew the Committee never asked the eye test question of ND vis a vis OU, tOSU, and UGA.  

Dinich said she has been involved with the CFP at ESPN HQ for 3 "mock" rankings.  The Committee SoP is to group the teams in "pods" of 3 or 4.  They rank the teams in each pod and move to the next "pod."  Most likely, what happened here is ND was included in the pod of Alabama and Clemson, and the vote was easy that ND was #3.  IMO, ND should have been in the "pod" with OU and tOSU (and maybe UGA).  Letterman Row then mentioned this morning how the voting is done.  Secret, and it's not some unamimous tally.  The voting seems probably also done by "pod."  The push to put UGA in at 4 won a minority of votes for UGA at 4 and give UGA a better vote average to counter the majority #6 votes that they got.  That's how the voting goes.  It's not 13-0 for Bama at 1, 13-0 for Clemson, ...., and then 9-4 OU for #4, 7-6 UGA for #5, etc.  https://lettermenrow.com/scarlet-sunrise/ohio-state-football-college-foo...  AP and Coaches both had Ohio State #5.

So, the "pod" voting structure avoided the "eye test" for ND, and how the votes are counted, given the late push for UGA, worked against tOSU.  Oh, and also that game in West Lafayette seemed to have some affect as well. 

Two years in a row.  Accountability (and change) must be enforced.

I thought it was a real weak play by Herbstreit, and the rest at ESPN, to push for UGA at #4.  They blew a 14 point lead.  Again!  Boneheaded fake punt call.  Last I knew, a coach was a part of the team (if not, then why does Purdue count?).  I've been a Buckeye and college football fan since 1968, and just about my whole life that's what UGA does, it chokes.  Why does Kirby deserve a third chance to choke?

Dwayne Haskins.  He is the man.  How great would it be if he came back.  We can dream can't we?  What really sticks out to me though, is how he seized the leadership of the team.  Without a doubt, he deserves the Heisman.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 68 Comments