College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

6 Playoff Teams: the Perfect Number?

+1 HS
buckeye_in_WI's picture
November 25, 2018 at 9:42pm
83 Comments

I realize that discussing the number of playoff system is pretty polarizing, with many firmly in the camp of "keep it at 4! [Or 2]" and many firmly in the camp of "expand it to 6/8 [or 16?]". However, looking back at the last 4 years there has been a lot of controversy on which 4 teams get selected. Not any team has been more central to this controversy than tOSU, that much we can all agree on. I don't think a year went by [maybe 2015?] where tOSU and the playoff didnt end up in a controversial ending. We've come up on the plus side twice, and the minus side twice, and depending on who you listen to, we've either been screwed over more than anyone, or given preferential treatment more than anyone. All that aside, looking back at the last 4 years, was there a number of teams that could have mitigated most of the controversy? Yes, and I think that number is 6. Many critics of the playoff expansion idea cite their issue with potentially watering down the playoff, and lessening the importance of the regular season by allowing more teams in. However, in the past 4 years the difference between team ranked 4 and 6 is nominal at best. Plus, with 6 the top 2 teams get byes, preserving the importance of the regular season. Additionally, 2 more teams vying for a spot increases the number of impactful games, not decreases them. TL;DR: this is what the last 4 years would look like with 6 teams, and I think its much better. 2014: 6 teams include both TCU and Baylor, two teams many said deserved a spot over tOSU. 2015: 6 teams include Stanford and tOSU, a conference champ and one of the most talented teams in the past decade of college football 2016: 6 teams include psu and ou/scum. Possibly 2 conference champs or a scUM team that lost in 2OT 2017: tOSU and USC, 2 conference champs And looking ahead to 2018, depending on how the CCGs turn out, were again looking at a potential controversy with 1 loss OU b12 champ vs 1 loss tOSU b10 champ [or worse, a 1 loss bama in the mix as well]. However, with six, all those teams make it, with the 6th team being scUM or uga (if uga wins its clemson/nd/uga/ou/tosu/bama; if bama wins its bama/clemson/nd/ou/tosu/scum). 6 seems to be better than 4 thus far. IMHO

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 83 Comments