Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. MSU - the Alternate Positive Game Report

+22 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
November 11, 2018 at 2:38pm
30 Comments

Honestly, I'm just a bit salty as to how the national media, local media, and even some of our fans are viewing this game. What did people expect? 

This was the most satisfying, well-rounded win of the entire season. Every unit contributed to the win. You could tell by Urban's demeanor and the reports of the locker room that the team feels this way, too. 

Like many, I've been very frustrated with the way our team couldn't find a safety, did dumb things with its LBs, and wouldn't commit to running the ball. Moreover, since Indiana, they seemed to lose confidence, heart, leadership, and lack aggression. 

This is still a young team and I don't think everything is fixed. I'm not sure we're better than TTUN.  Here's what went right yesterday

+Dwayne Haskins. If not for (at least) 7 drops, this would have been his best game since early September. I saw some fire & purpose. Ran like he did against TTUN last year w/some purpose. I don't think he's packed it in. 

+Tate Martell. I don't know why we can't adjust and use bootlegs or other constraints, but since we can't we need Tate in those tight yardage situations. 

+Mike Weber. 22 carries for 104 yards (4.7) against the #1 rush defense in the country. Moreover, Dantonio admitted that we wore them down with the run. That's how you do it in the B1G in November.

+Punt Team (w/special shout out to Chrisman, McLaurin, and Dixon. What an amazing performance. 

+Terry McLaurin. Guy made the tough catches yesterday and great blocks (and the aforementioned punt team excellence). His best all-around game as a Buckeye.

+Linebackers. This was their best game of 2018. I know Sparty struggles on offense. But Lombardi can run and did throw for over 300 a couple weeks ago. Lewerke was supposed to be a top QB in the Big this year. And they have guys who can run the ball. 

+Defensive Backs. We've found our 6 best guys and they play a lot now. Brendon White continues to read and react very well. Fuller is back at field safety where he excelled last year. Shaun Wade is getting more and more comfortable. Arnette had himself a game. Sheffield struggled early but recovered.  

+Defensive Scheme. When we play quarters more with some other coverages mixed in, this defense is better. Schiano tried walking his LBs up on the first drive and got burned for it (easy check/audible for the QB/WR to a screen when they see that now). However, the LBs at normal depth play better. We need less "bail" coverage. We don't need that as much if our LBs are in the right place. 

+Aggression. We took it to Sparty on both sides of the ball. Man, that felt good. It looked good. It looked like Ohio State football, like where we knew we were better and played like it. 

Did the weather make it tougher to catch the ball? Apparently. Did we struggle to find a rhythm in the run game early? Yes. Am I still mystified as to Victor's inability to put it all together consistently? Mind-boggled. Do I wonder why the offensive brain trust can't figure out how to play to Haskin's strengths or run without a read option? The struggle is real. 

But I am very satisfied with that win. It felt good, whereas, the wins against Indiana, Minnesota, and Nebraska felt frustrating. 

I'm old enough to remember what bad weather, road game football in the B1G looks like. And that was a great team win. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 30 Comments