Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Urban Explains Severity of Brain Cyst

+4 HS
BuckeyeIn NY's picture
October 30, 2018 at 3:23pm
29 Comments

In a sit down with Doug Lesmerises of cleveland.com,  Austin Ward of Lettermanrow.com and Tim May and Bill Rabinowitz of the Columbus Dispatch, Urban explains the severity of his brain cyst in order to get the record straight of his health and sideline demeanor.  

A few tidbits from the article on Cleveland.com

Monday, I told Meyer in his weekly news conference about those believing him to look anguished on the sideline and asked how he was mentally and emotionally. Meyer said he was fine and told fans not to worry about him.

Unhappy with that answer, and wanting to quell speculation, Meyer, 54, sat in his office Tuesday with me, Austin Ward of Lettermanrow.com and Tim May and Bill Rabinowitz of the Columbus Dispatch in an effort to speak the truth and explain the seriousness of the cyst.

Surrounded by photos of himself with family, legendary coaches and four U.S. Presidents, Meyer's mood darkened as he delved into the details of his physical condition, unsure of sharing too many personal details but wanting a basic understanding of his health to be known to the public.

He does not feel very good right now. As a husband, father of three and grandfather of one, with another grandchild on the way, he is considering his quality of life beyond his coaching days.

But he's had a cyst in his head his whole life. If the 2014 surgery to remove fluid and reduce pressure in his brain followed most procedures for arachnoid cysts, he had two holes drilled in his head.

The article goes on to say that Urban's headaches worsen during singular moments of aggravation.  

Sometimes, things aren't always as they seem.  Urban wanted people to know why his sideline demeanor has changed, and now we can stop speculating.  

The many swirling questions about Meyer and the Buckeyes can be narrowed down to this: There's a cyst in the left side of his brain. He's dealing with it.

"I put my life into this job," Meyer said. "I love Ohio State and I grew up a Buckeye, and I'm 100 percent committed to Ohio State and putting our players in the best position to win games and doing right by Ohio State."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments