Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

I Read Zach Boren, and It Might Not Be Coaching ...

+11 HS
BuckInNashville's picture
October 28, 2018 at 8:57am
86 Comments

I stumbled upon an article in a site called Lettermen’s Row where the former Buckeye FB turned Mike LB breaks down film. There are certainly enough examples he gives on film where the “silver bullet” toughness is lacking - certainly that can be attributed to talent and/or coaching. But in a couple of cases, it might be more basic than that. (See Lettermenrow.com , Oct 23 Buck IQ article)

have you ever played basketball and found yourself covering a guy who outweighs you by 25 lbs and is 4 inches taller ? He can post you up pretty easily if you don’t have a super strong core and thighs to stand your ground. You might try going around him to jab at the ball, but he has the distinct advantage.

It seems to me that this is what the LBs are doing. There were several cases illustrated vs Purdue where Werner or Borland ran around a blocker rather than to take him on filling a gap, and then shedding him to help make the play. There was even a case, while running around the blocker, the LB screened our safety out of position to fill and make the tackle, enabling one of Purdue’s long rushing TDS.

i don’t know if it’s our LB’s size, or if it’s their toughness - but it might boil down to the players. Has anyone else seen this ?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 86 Comments