Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Yes, You Really Can Blame the O-Line

+9 HS
burger1124's picture
October 22, 2018 at 11:05am
55 Comments

I saw a post about a week ago arguing that the O-line is not really to blame for the regressing rushing attack. I think after Saturday we can re-evaluate this claim. The O-line, IMHO, is as bad positionally as the defensive back seven. There is no other explanation from a logical point of view. 

Red zone offense? Well, it's not the fault of our two 1000-yard backs. It's not on Haskins, who was pressured countless times. It's on the O-line.

Lack of run game production? Again, this is not on the RBs, nor is it on Dwayne for not being able to run. It's not even on Urban and Ryan Day for keeping some of their read option stuff in the offense. OSU has had plenty of non-running QBs in the past. You can be successful as a pocket-passing and power-run team IF YOU HAVE AN OFFENSIVE LINE.

Play-calling? Even this falls on the shoulders of the O-line. We can talk all we want about how a) since Urban's return the playcalling has been more conservative, how b) Haskins can't run in a QB-run offense, and how c) Martell in short-yardage and red-zone packages is a must. But these are all moot points. The playcalling is more conservative because Haskins has less time to throw--we're no longer playing Oregon State. It's more conservative because we are throwing an increasing number of short-yardage slants, screens, and shuttles--because teams are stacking the box and blitzing. And they are doing so not simply because Haskins isn't a threat to run--it's because they know they can get pressure on him. They can take away our run, they can take away the deep ball, because our O-line is not living up to its potential. Adding Tate will do literally nothing for this offense if the line can't create holes. 

I'd like to hear your thoughts. But I'd also like to hear you engage my point. If you're gonna rag on Day and Urban for play-calling, make sure you prove me wrong. Because I think they're stuck calling short passes as a result of the O-line.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 55 Comments