Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Look Back At Penn State...25 Years in the B1G - Ohio State Highs and Lows

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture
September 25, 2018 at 11:12am
33 Comments

Expanding on Bwherbert's earlier thread, as this season marks Penn State's 25th since beginning Big Ten (as the kids used to call it) play in 1993.

The 2007 game was one of the greats for Buckeye fans, as Ohio State took it to the Nits, 37-17 in Happy Valley - in what was Tress' finest moment against JoePa.

But wanted to look back at the series overall since PSU came aboard, and to some of your memories from games since. This is always a big week for me personally, I have family and extended family that live in PA and are Nit fans, and I spent some time living in the Commonwealth years back (the Harrisburg area...where I was surrounded by Penn State and Notre Dame fans).

The Buckeyes hold an 18-14 series edge, but are 17-8 against the Nits since their joining the conference. I want to say I remember the 1980 Fiesta Bowl, but my first true memory was the 63-14 smackdown Ohio State suffered at Happy Valley in 1994 (I missed the '93 game on deployment). That memory also doubles as the worst.

Buckeyes got payback the following year, winning 28-25 in Happy Valley (weird scheduling quirk...the schools have home and home'd since). But the '96 game serves as my best memory...Buckeyes in a near perfect game took out PSU, 38-7 (Penn State finished 11-2 on the season). That game was the best performance I'd seen from an Ohio State squad to date (since surpassed by the 2014 B1G title game smackdown over Wisconsin).

Other notable games...2002 - Gamble saves the day and keeps the perfect season alive, 2006 - Troy with the dazzler to Brian Robiskie, pick-sixes from Malcolm Jenkins and Antonio Smith to close out a closer-than-the-score indicates 28-6 at home, 2013 - 63-14 return the favor game...Penn State was decimated by the Sandusky scandal, and the Buckeyes thoroughly dominated, and the all-time classic comeback win last season...in arguably J.T. Barrett's finest performance. I was able to finally get home and see that game in person (h/t NavyBuckeye91) in what turned out to be a great weekend (finally met up with a good number of Dubbers at the Friday night get-together prior to gameday).

What say you, 11W? What memories do you have over the years from Penn State?

Here's to adding some good ones again on Saturday night.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 33 Comments