Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Philosophy on Using the 4-game Redshirt Rule

+2 HS
buckinraleigh's picture
September 5, 2018 at 5:43pm
28 Comments

I'm guessing that football coaches across the country are still figuring out how best to make use of the new 4-game redshirt rule.  But I have a bit of a beef with what Ohio State did in week 1, and I'll use the RBs to illustrate.

Brian Snead had 11 snaps and 7 carries.  Master Teague had 7 snaps and 6 carries.  Both of course have used up one of their four allowed games before the redshirt comes off.

It would make more sense to me to let our 3rd and 4th string RBs play in alternate weeks.  Let Snead play in week 1, Teague in week 2, etc.  I can't imagine that either of them would be unable to handle the load of 18 snaps and a dozen carries in a game.  Doing so would extend their availability deeper into the season, provide more flexibility in case of injury to one of the top 2, and give the coaches more time before deciding which one (or both) loses their redshirt for the season.

I used the RBs to illustrate my point, but I think this principle applies to any/all positions.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments