Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Saban's Shadiness

+1 HS
cricejr's picture
September 4, 2018 at 3:32pm
74 Comments

So I've been looking at the way Alabama has been handling their QB situation.  It seems to me that Saban led Jalen Hurts to actually believe he had a chance to be the started when anyone with two eyes could see that the new kid Tua Tagovailoa was going to be the starter after the way he played in the title game.

Now juxtapose that against the way Ohio State and Urban Meyer dealt with Joe Burrow and Dwayne Haskins.  As a Buckeye fan I would obviously love to have both here for all of the "what if" scenarios, but as a person I want both young men to have an opportunity to flourish and personally feel that, at least from what has been presented publically, that Meyer did the stand up things and told Burrow what the deal was going to be. I can't help but feel Saban played Hurts, telling him that he had a chance to play his way into the position and reinforcing that by being an ass to the media when they brought it up, even as recently as Saturday; the media, especially ESPN is OK with it though, saying "it's all in the game" (quoting Omar from The Wire is usually awesome but not in this case) but I'm also wondering if they would feel this was cool and ethical if it wasn't Saban and an SEC school but I digress.

I've been wondering what other Buckeyes felt about this: would you be cool with Coach taking the Saban approach and allowing one to feel that he actually had an opportunity when it simply wasn't true in order to make the position the best it would be, or would you prefer what we did, which was give Burrow the chance to make the best of the situation and his career.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 74 Comments