Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

The Missing Apology to Courtney Smith

-5 HS
JM's picture
August 23, 2018 at 4:16pm
268 Comments

I watched some clips from the various round table shows this morning to get a feel for how the story is playing at a macro level. Besides some of the more eyebrow raising tidbits in the 'Summary of Findings' which are admittedly very troubling, to say the least; the single biggest complaint I've seen is in regards to the lack of any utterance of the name "Courtney Smith" or an apology to that individual. 

I've been thinking about this a lot this morning and today. Why would Meyer, specifically, even when asked "What message do you have for Courtney Smith"  which is the softball of softballs to appear contrite and maybe win back some of the "narrative" to use that overstuffed jargon. Maybe he was told to simply stick to his line, that he repeated twice, "I'm sorry that we're in this situation" to all involved.

It would appear that a number of finely credentialed journos are taking his reluctance to apologize or say something to her directly as him being an unfeeling zombie. And I don't think that's the case. Could it be that he was told not to say anything to her? And repeat that affore mentioned line? Or could it be something else: that he either doesn't believe her story or or better yet that he feels betrayed by her for telling her story to an investigative journalist because he and (particularly Shelley) were trying to help her?

Maybe we'll never know but this seems to be one of the bigger sticking points for a number of talking heads today.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 268 Comments