Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

My Confessional: The Saga Edition

+6 HS
OhioAgainstTheWorld34's picture
August 5, 2018 at 1:13am
17 Comments

I would like to preface this by saying that I think we need a thread where we can freely share our confessions from the week or so that has been.  I know I have spent way too much time consumed in the madness, my wife probably hates me but I’m still married, as of now. Haha. This is going to be a little lengthy so feel free to skip reading it and just comment your confession below.

My Confessional

Since the circus of Big Ten Media Day I have gone insane and tonight I wanted to write it out so that I could finally put it all to bed.  I have lost sleep, spent hours combing over articles, intriguingly watched television interviews, consumed hours of sports talk radio and PodCasts none of which have resulted in answering all the questions or connecting all the dots.  That day may never come and you know what, I think I’m okay with that.

Let me start this off with an appropriate thought and concern.  Domestic violence is a cowardly offense and under no circumstances should this be accepted by our society.  I have been married for almost two years now and I thank God my wife and I have never been in a situation where aggressive actions have been made.  This is something I have never witnessed growing up nor found myself in the midst of.  Have my wife and I had arguments?  Yes.  Have things happened that have put stress on the relationship?  If you’re married and you’ve answered no to this, one of two things apply, you’re either lying or you haven’t been married long enough.  Now, I do work along side someone who’s been in a volatile relationship and even been accused of domestic violence, he’s helped me understand what goes through someone’s mind when these incidents occur.  Again, forcefully striking a woman is flat out inexcusable and to every victim out there who has suffered domestic abuse I apologize and sympathize with you.  That being said, I have a message for all parties involved... Here it goes...

To Courtney Smith,

I apologize on behalf of every single person with a moral compass for any abuse you may have occurred.  There is no reason in this world any woman should have to live in fear of being abused in any manner.  If you’ve felt inferior, distraught, insignificant, powerless, abandoned, helpless, ect. there are people out there who care.  With that being said, you’ve got to own your circumstances.  You can’t point the finger or pass the blame.  There are women out there who’ve taken a situation where they’ve had every right to assume the role of “victim”, but have instead empowered themselves to be larger than the issue.  Don’t continue to live in the darkness you perceive, but step out of this a more mature and stronger woman.

To Zach Smith,

I have heard you say some things the last 24 hours that make me believe you’re remorseful and understanding of the role you played in the situation.  You’ve verbally expressed that you contributed to the failed marriage, but I challenge you to make that more than lip service.  Take positive action.  Don’t poke fun of a movement with the hashtag #NotMe or feel as if you’re somehow entitled to have a smart witted injection because of a status you’ve achieved.  I’d challenge you to be so intentional with your actions that those who’ve cast judgement on you and even those you’ve hurt to what you perceive is unfixable will begin to see a different Zach Smith.  This doesn’t have define you, but you too have to be better.

To Urban Meyer,

I haven’t met you, nor do I ever think I will have that privilege, but if I did I think I’d take a moment to thank you.  I’ve read “Above The Line” and I’ve applied many of its principles to my managing style, I still have my job and even landed a promotion along the way, so I’d say they work.  But regards to the current situation, transparency is essential. Unfortunately, we live in a society that feels it necessary to cling to every slight movement and interpret information the way that they best feel fits their agenda, so be prepared for anything and everything.  Without a doubt easier said then done.

To Brett McMurphy,

I’m having to take a moment to collect myself before getting to you... Every person wants to be the best at what they do, whether that’s managing a bank or assisting patients in a medical setting or teaching children I have to believe everyone wakes up with intent to be great.  I’m sure that is no different for you.  When you were originally tipped off of this story, I’m sure your mind began to race your heart rate probably even elevated a little and I’m guessing you thought to yourself, “Wow. This is my big one.”  To that, I say good for you...  However, when you began to work on this story you let that feeling override any and all journalistic integrity.  You used misleading verbiage, inferred personal opinions as fact, got so caught up in your own work that you began braggadociously firing off tweets that your column got a man fired, and then went on an absolute smear campaign to anyone who’d listen... Countless times you’d state something as fact, but when asked a follow up question you’d be forced to redact the statement as only your most logical opinion of the matter.  That isn’t reporting and if you think it is, please stick to publishing Facebook forums because that’s exactly where you belong.

To The Fans,

Myself included, take a moment and really pause to reflect before taking a stance.  I know throughout this week I have been guilty of reading something and immediately making an assumption.  That isn’t warranted nor is it responsible.  I know we live in a hot take society that wants answers and solutions instantly, but that isn’t how resolutions happen.  I have been so guilty of wanting everything answered and done by COB the same day that I’ve been caught up in the madness.  Don’t be that hot take guy.  Let the process play out.

No matter who has the headset on come September 1st, Buckeye football will be back... And for that we can all be thankful. Go Bucks! Beat Oregon State! BEAT TTUN!!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments