Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Favorite TV Commentator Duo for Buckeye Football Games?

+1 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
June 21, 2018 at 4:35pm
69 Comments

The quality of the commentary is one of the main aspects in enjoying a football game, especially when reliving big moments. I think we can all agree that the 2012 Purdue comeback was unreal, and it definitely deserved more than Beth Mowins calling it. In addition to the play-by-play commentator, the color commentator is equally important. I love Gus Johnson, but I feel like Joel Klatt keeps that group from being my go-to guys. Herbie, imo, is without a doubt the best Color commentator in the college game, and while I don't LOVE Fowler, I like him enough for that to be my favorite duo in the game right now. 

As for the usual broadcast teams that call OSU games these days, I'd rank them like this:

1. Fowler & Herbie - Herbie is the best color commentator in the game, and Fowler is getting better and better each year. He made me cringe when he first got called up to the big leagues (Used to call Thursday night beat downs), but he has improved drastically. 
  2. Gus Johnson & Joel Klatt - Love Gus. Klatt gives boring analysis.
  3. Tessitore & Blackledge - I liked Nessler more than Tessitore, but still better that option 4 or 5. 
  4. Levy & Griese - I think this speaks for itself. 
  5. Kugler and Millen - Real battle for the last spot between 4 and 5. 

Too early to call:

1. Dave Pasch & Greg Mcilroy - They haven't been promoted enough to get high quality games, but I think they do a fine job for consistently covering blowouts. The downfall is that, since games are blowouts, they always go to Luginbill on the sidelines for recruiting updates. And...just no. Mcilroy, for an SEC guy, does a good job acting unbiased, and is a clear upgrade for Pasch, who was paired with Griese. 
  2. Joe Davis & Brady Quinn - Might raise them up when they stop showing a picture of Hawk and Quinn every time he does a game. 

Past Crews:​

1. Nessler & Blackledge
  2. Musberger & Herbie
  3. Sean McDonough & Spielman

Last - Whoever's duo involved Millen

Extra Last - Mowins

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 69 Comments