Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

WR Production Jump/Utilization

0 HS
cmented36's picture
April 13, 2018 at 1:39pm
18 Comments

So I think most people are expecting or at least hoping for an increased passing game with whoever wins the QB derby. (All comes down to the actual coaching and play calling, I remain reserved due to how plays have been called post Natty). With this in mind and the fact there are WR's a plenty, who do you think sees the biggest spikes in production? Also, if you were able to choose how to deploy the WR's how would you do it? (ie, static 3/4 guys?, 6 man rotation?, situational?)

I think the top guy that sees a spike is going to be Johnnie Dixon. 18Rec 422Yds  8TD last year, dude can ball, I mean he almost scored half the time he touched the rock. 

I also think the popular choice of Austin Mack will see a spike as well, seemed very reliable catching the ball even when getting drilled a few times.

I think Campbell and Hill are going to get their crossing touches as well but I still see them averaging closer to 12-14 yds/ rec due to the routes they tended to run last season. 

As for deploying the WR's I think you definitely have more than enough talent and varying body types to go with a situational approach. It would be nice to actually see some creativity with the offense. Get into the red zone?- Why not double TE, and Victor/Harris, get your big boys in there that can help block for the run game and also win contested catches in tight spaces? Want to hit deep?- Send Campbell out to Z to go deep, Hill to the slot for a dump off, Victor/Mack to the X for an intermediate. To me it seems insane that some of these guys get forced to play one of the WR positions, Saunders and to some extent Hill I can understand staying in the slot but Campbell is 6'1" 210lbs if he can't play outside for a Streak/Post/Corner why they hell is Zach Smith getting paid 6 figures? There's definitely a lot of flexibility with the roster at the position so I'm sure it'll be disappointing to watch the lack of creativity come next fall but it's fun to dream about... Just think of the size advantage you'd have over almost any team with Berry, Harris, Victor, Ruckert... not to mention Blue Smith they won't blow past people deep but redzone the size advantage works for running and passing plays. Then you have the pure speed with Campbell, McLaurin, Dixon and Agility of Hill, Saunders. That's a lot of talent and a lot of different traits to work into situations to give OSU the bigger advantage. I don't know it just seems like from watching the games the personnel utilization is like watching checkers when it could be 3D Chess. 

Woah... really got sidetracked there my bad....Offseason sucks. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments