Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Shawn Crable: The Hit

+5 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
November 21, 2017 at 9:13am
39 Comments

Since it is that week of the year, I've been looking through footage from previous games, and finding some of the key plays. We often talk about Gonzo's catch in 2005, Ted Ginn nearly returning every punt in 2004, the 2-point interception in 2013, and JT's first down last year. It is a rivalry for a reason. Basically every year (minus Rich Rod), the games are hard fought and come down to one or two plays. 

Every day leading up to the game, I am going to find a play that maybe we don't talk about as much, but still had a huge impact. First up, let us go back to 2006, and remember Shawn Crable. The situation: 3rd and 15. 7 minutes left in the game. The Bucks are up by 4. With a stop, UM gets the ball back with a chance to win it. 

Now this play is actually really fun to look back at now for two reasons. One obviously was that it essentially clinched the game for the Buckeyes. Two plays after this, Troy threw the clinching touchdown to Robiske. But the other reason is because of the call. Now this is for sure a great call by the official. The hit was a little late. The timeliness of the hit could possibly be let go, but it was the nature of the hit (helmet to helmet) that really was the wrongdoing. The announcers explained that Crable led with his helmet. This is interesting because, at the time, the helmet-to-helmet rule was young. If I'm not mistaken, us Buckeye fans were really introduced to this rule during the Texas game that year. 

I remember my dad threatening to do things to the referee that I don't want to say out loud. We were young to this rule, and to many, helmet-to-helmet was an unheard of phrase. Before 2005, helmet-to-helmet was only called if the referee deemed that the defender made an "intentional non-football play". So in Shawn Crable's case, it may not have been called a year or two earlier, because you could argue he wasn't intentionally going after Troy's head. 

I'm an OSU fan, and even I can say, "Okay, maybe it wasn't too late, as he was running full speed at Smith when he threw the ball". Even Troy Smith when interviewed about it later, smiled and didn't answer whether he thought it was a late hit. However, lateness had nothing to do with it. The referee called a simple "personal foul". At the time, there were some people who thought the call was "Personal foul roughing the passer". But no, the call was for the helmet-to-helmet contact. 

Once again, I am not taking up for Crable and the referee made the absolute right call (most people realize that now), but it is still interesting because in 2006, being in the early stages of a new rule, in that magnitude of a moment, I could have easily seen the refs missing this one. Even though the refs could have called 3 separate penalties. Roughing the Passer, Helmet-to-helmet, or even just a late hit because Smith was coming down out of bounds. Just glad they got it right.

Great call Big Ten Refs. Props to you!

P.S. There are multiple articles written by UM fans about how Crable broke their hearts, if you are bored and want some entertainment. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 39 Comments