Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Stats I Find Interesting

+16 HS
EZE4TD's picture
October 19, 2017 at 8:30pm
19 Comments

Hi, my name is Mike, and I’m a stat geek. 

I wanted to see how bad Michigan’s QB play had been this year, and found that Speight and O’Korn have only accounted for 4 combined touchdowns in six games. For OSU, J.T. has been responsible for 4 touchdowns in a GAME four times; Indiana (4), UNLV (5), Maryland (4), and Nebraska (7). He had 3 against Army and Rutgers. (Don’t recall Oklahoma.)

That got me looking through the stats. Here are some things I found interesting:

OSU has punted 20 times this year, but opponents don’t have a single return yard.

Opponents have more yards on kickoff returns (803) than they do rushing (767).

In 100 carries, J.K. Dobbins has more yards rushing (775) than all of OSU’s opponents combined (767) in 262 carries.

A different player has led the team in tackles each game: Sheffield (Indiana), Worley (Oklahoma), Borland (Army), Smith and Harrison (UNLV), Fuller (Rutgers), Browning (Maryland), and Booker (Nebraska).

Oklahoma is the only team to register triple digits in both rushing and passing against OSU’s defense. Indiana, Maryland, and Nebraska we all 50 yards rushing or less, while Army, UNLV, Rutgers, and Maryland were all less than 100 yards passing.

Opponents have punted for 1,733 yards, which is nearly as many net yards (1,776) as they have gained when penalties (361) are subtracted from total yards (2,137). By comparison, OSU has 3,520 net yards compared to 852 yards punting.

If he had a few more attempts to qualify, Paris Campbell would rank third in the NCAA with 39.0 yards per kick return.

In a fairly close number of attempts (291 to 262), OSU has almost twice as many positive yards rushing as opponents (1,856 to 988) but half as many negative yards (102 to 221).  

Seven games in, and there’s only been one successful field goal kicked against OSU (Oklahoma), with the other five attempts all missed.

With the exception of Oklahoma, OSU has had two players top 100 all-purpose yards in every game: Dobbins and Campbell against Indiana and Army, Campbell and Saunders against UNLV, Dixon and McCall against Rutgers, Campbell and Weber against Maryland, and Dobbins and Hill against Nebraska. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments