Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Zone-Read Triple Option

+5 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
October 6, 2017 at 10:02am
31 Comments

Fans and recently Urban Meyer have been talking about a 3 headed backfield featuring JT, Weber, and Dobbins. Urban has recently stated that the staff is trying to figure out ways to use them all together. The first play that came to my mind was the Zone-Read Triple Option. 

Ohio State consistently runs the Zone-Read, and it is obviously one of JT's strengths. He makes the correct reads and does a tremendous job waiting until the last possible moment to make his decision on whether to keep or hand the ball off. So why not add a new wrinkle. We run the zone-read, and we run the speed option, so why not combine the two. The speed option was terrible last year, and while it still makes me cringe, I have to admit the Bucks have ran it better this year. 

And it wouldn't be something new. Urban has ran it before at OSU. 

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC FOOTAGE OF 2 MIAMI (OH) DEFENDERS HAVING THEIR ANKLES SHATTERED.

Obviously JT, is not the athlete that Miller was, but regardless, this would have still been a 10+ yard gain with Barrett. In addition, this play was not even used with two backs. Philly was the pitch man, imagine that being Dobbins. Having Weber be the inside guy, Dobbins being the pitch man, paired with JT's great feel for the play, would be horrific for opposing defenses. 

I'd at least like to see it attempted, and these next two weeks would be the time. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 31 Comments