Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

SERIOUSLY: Where are the slant routes (and such)?

+14 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
September 14, 2017 at 10:15am
78 Comments

I love a properly run slant route. I think it's one of the harder passes to defend if run correctly.  Over the past 2+ seasons, we've seen less and less of this route.  In 2014 we saw JT throw this route to Michael Thomas many times.  We SHOULD have done that throughout 2015 - a year I forever loathe for criminally under using MT.

JTB plays his best when he plays fast. These quick hitting routes then open up the defense for the deep pass, as we saw in 2014 especially against Sparty.  

If corners are doing to continue to run "bail" technique, turning their back to take away the deeper outside passes, this appears to be the perfect time to throw the slant. Heck, we threw one to T-Mac against Indiana, it worked, and we didn't throw one again. I need a football expert to tell me WHY. 

NEXT UP:  Where are the TE seams? Where are the tunnel screens? Where is the off-tackle run?

Seriously, the design of this passing offense makes me so frustrated. I remember cringing in 2015 when Urban was starry-eyed about the deep ball. It felt like he was forcing something that I didn't see out of this team/offense. Let it go, man! Go with what works.

Look at what Oklahoma did to us with RPOs and quick shots that took advantage of our aggressiveness! AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 78 Comments