Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How good are the backup QBs?

+10 HS
chefjoey's picture
September 11, 2017 at 10:27am
92 Comments

I know there are a million QBs threads right now but I wanted to make a point.

For those wanting to anoint King Haskins, please keep in mind the sample size you are pulling from:

• High school film against competition in which less than 10% of the players are playing collegiate football
  • Observations from reporters giving their opinions (see Demario McCall, Noah Brown, Dontre Wilson).
  • Spring game film from a game in which Haskins threw against a secondary ranked dead last in passing yards per game, and true freshman corners still getting their feet wet.
  • Fan hype surrounding a certain player (see Demario McCall, Noah Brown, Dontre Wilson).

I, like many of you, am a passionate fan of Ohio State. I want them to succeed. You want them to succeed. Seeing them lose is painful and not fun. But let's not forget this 23 year old kid you're ready to throw under the bus after a few games has pour blood and sweat into this university for 5 years. He is the only 3-time captain in Ohio State history. He has played through an MCL injury to win a game for his teammates and brothers. He is the most decorated player in Ohio State history. And he is not the only player on offense. It takes 22+ players to win a game. It's a team sport, and always will be.

Edit:

My apologies for starting another QB thread. I just felt the need to point out a lot of positive things JT has done for the program over the years, and also note the fact that overhyping a player does a lot more harm that good. 

JT is taking a lot of heat and being tossed aside by many of the same fans who demanded he start midway through 2015 after Cardale Jones (11-0) did not live up to the hype around him.

I think we should all appreciate JT and remember he's a young kid / college student. He's giving Ohio State his best each week, and that's all we can ask for / expect.

Let the coaching staff do what they do best. Urban Meyer has taken us this far. Let's continue to trust him.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 92 Comments