Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Let's all come to grips now with who this team is

+5 HS
steve-OH's picture
September 10, 2017 at 12:30pm
86 Comments

I got honest with myself last night about the 2017 Buckeye football team.

They aren't a championship caliber team that just played bad or got out coached. They didn't just have a bad game last night at the wrong time, or any other excuse.

This is just not a championship team the way they are currently built. Maybe next year will be, maybe not. We're not even a playoff team - that doesn't mean that we might not run the table and squeak in (while we laugh at all the haters again), just that we aren't that good.

The secondary outside of Denzel Ward is not at that level. The LB unit got burnt multiple times last night too in coverage. Pass coverage is reminding me of the 2013 squad - bad.

Our WR core again is bad. We are loaded with 4 and 5 star guys who can't run crisp routes or catch a pass on a deep route. I'm officially on the #fireZachSmith bandwagon. We'll still land top recruits without his skillz, we're THE Ohio State. We have 6 starters because we have none, like Ramzy said. A few flashes of brilliance won't do it. 

I'm also coming to grips and being honest about JT. He'll hold B1G records and Buckeye records alike when he's done, but as Urban says - the QB is product of the guys around him. It's not because he's great but because our teams are stacked with talent, and because we call so many QB runs. He doesn't deserve to be trashed but I'm not sure he deserves to start either. I'm torn but finally being honest about him. And no, don't give me the crap about he just passed for 300 yards - he threw a couple short or intermediate passes that guys ran for 200 yards on - nothing downfield works. He hesitates and throws late even when they are finally open for once, or he fails to put touch on it (TD pass to KJ who is open).

Then our coaching - what can you say? It's like every other big game the coaching and play calling turn to crap. Urban clenches his butt cheeks and suddenly forgets the "great 1-2 punch" (his words) we have at RB and tries to make our bad WR group and our not great passer QB win the game. I'm so f-ing sick of hearing "we got to get better" and "we got to work on that" from Urban in these pressers when IT'S THE SAME PROBLEM THAT KEEPS POPPING UP OVER AND OVER JUST WITH A DIFFERENT OPPONENT THAT WE LOST TO. Kevin Wilson can't fix jack crap when our entire game plan hinges on running the read option with the QB. JK Dobbins and Austin Mack put us at 1st and goal, and then we ran 2 QB runs in a row. What the hell. And for God's sake, has that QB roll out ever worked? That's your call on 4th and 4??? 

I'll enjoy the wins this year, but the flaws on this team are too many. The hype was #fakenews. This team is a 2 loss team that might get lucky and only lose 1, but I'm not holding my breath.

Recruits are great but not if you can't develop or play them. Talent is good to have but it can only overcome so much bad coaching.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 86 Comments